Happy Wednesday – it’s another iOS 12 Launch Party book release!
Today, we’re excited to announce that Core Data by Tutorials, Fifth Edition has been fully updated for Swift 4.2, iOS 12 and Xcode 10.
Core Data by Tutorials teaches you everything you need to know to take control of your data in iOS apps using Core Data, Apple’s powerful object graph and persistence framework.
This will be a free update for existing Core Data by Tutorials digital edition customers — our way to say “thanks” to our readers for their support.
Don’t own Core Data by Tutorials yet? Read on to see how you can get a copy!
What is Core Data by Tutorials?
This book is for intermediate iOS developers who already know the basics of iOS and Swift development but want to learn how to leverage Core Data to persist data in their apps.
Here’s a quick look at what’s inside Core Data by Tutorials:
- Chapter 1, Your First Core Data App: You’ll click File\New Project and write a Core Data app from scratch! This chapter covers the basics of setting up your data model and then adding and fetching records.
- Chapter 2, NSManagedObject Subclasses: NSManagedObject is the base data storage class of your Core Data object graphs. This chapter will teach you how you customize your own managed object subclasses to store and validate data.
- Chapter 3, The Core Data Stack: Under the hood, Core Data is made up of many parts working together. In this chapter, you’ll learn about how these parts fit together, and move away from the starter Xcode template to build your own customizable system.
- Chapter 4, Intermediate Fetching: Your apps will fetch data all the time, and Core Data offers many options for getting the data to you efficiently. This chapter covers more advanced fetch requests, predicates, sorting and asynchronous fetching.
- Chapter 5, NSFetchedResultsController: Table views are at the core of many iOS apps, and Apple wants to make Core Data play nicely with them! In this chapter, you’ll learn how NSFetchedResultsController can save you time and code when your table views are backed by data from Core Data.
- Chapter 6, Versioning and Migration: As you update and enhance your app, its data model will almost certainly need to change. In this chapter, you’ll learn how to create multiple versions of your data model and then migrate your users forward so they can keep their existing data as they upgrade.
- Chapter 7, Unit Tests: Testing is an important part of the development process, and you shouldn’t leave Core Data out of those tests! In this chapter, you’ll learn how to set up a separate test environment for Core Data and see examples of how to test your models.
- Chapter 8, Measuring and Boosting Performance: No one ever complained that an app was too fast, so it’s important to be vigilant about tracking performance. In this chapter, you’ll learn how to measure your app’s performance with various Xcode tools and then pick up some tips for dealing with slow spots in your code.
- Chapter 9, Multiple Managed Object Contexts: In this final chapter, you’ll expand the usual Core Data stack to include multiple managed object contexts. You’ll learn how this can improve perceived performance and help make your app architecture less monolithic and more compartmentalized.
About the Authors
Of course, our book would be nothing without our team of experienced and dedicated authors:
Aaron Douglas was that kid taking apart the mechanical and electrical appliances at five years of age to see how they worked. He never grew out of that core interest – to know how things work. He took an early interest in computer programming, figuring out how to get past security to be able to play games on his dad’s computer. He’s still that feisty nerd, but at least now he gets paid to do it. Aaron’s interest in mobile software has been ever increasing since he got his first iOS app in Apple’s App Store in 2009, Migraine Diary. Aaron works for Automattic (WordPress.com, Akismet, Simplenote) as a Mobile Maker primarily on the WordPress for iOS app. Other than software development, Aaron enjoys camping during the summer, taking his dogs for a walk around the neighborhood, and pretending to be a storm chaser while sitting at home. Find Aaron on Twitter as @astralbodies.
Matthew Morey is an engineer, author, hacker, creator and tinkerer. As an active member of the iOS community and CTO at MJD Interactive he has led numerous successful mobile projects worldwide. When not developing apps he enjoys traveling, snowboarding, and surfing. He blogs about technology and business at matthewmorey.com.
Pietro Rea is a software engineer at Upside Travel in Washington D.C. Pietro’s work has been featured in Apple’s App Stores across several different categories: media, e-commerce, lifestyle and more. Having worked at Fortune 500 companies and venture-backed startups, Pietro has a passion for building apps users can’t live without. You can find Pietro on Twitter as @pietrorea.
Free Core Data Chapters this Week
To help celebrate the launch, we’re going to open up the book and share three free chapters with you this week. This will give you a chance to check out the book — we’re confident you’ll love it!
Where To Go From Here?
Core Data by Tutorials, Fifth Edition is now 100% complete, fully updated for Swift 4.2, iOS 12 and Xcode 10 — and available today.
- If you’ve already bought the Core Data by Tutorials digital edition, you can download the new book immediately on the store page for the book.
- If you don’t have Core Data by Tutorials yet, you can grab your own copy in our online store.
And to help sweeten the deal, the digital edition of the book is on sale for $44.99! But don’t wait — this sale price is only available for a limited time.
Speaking of sweet deals, be sure to check out the great prizes we’re giving away this year with the iOS 12 Launch Party, including over $9,000 in giveaways!
To be eligible for for this epic iOS 12 giveaway, all you have to do is leave a comment on the original launch post, letting us know which book or course is your favorite on this list — or which upcoming book or course you’re most excited about!
We hope you enjoy this free update, and stay tuned for more book releases and updates coming soon!