(As part of the celebration of our new Ultimate subscriptions, we’re featuring select Pro video courses that are automatically included in the Ultimate Pro subscription. Today’s feature: Advanced MapKit!)
Using MapKit in iOS is a great a way to provide location information to your users. But you can leverage MapKit to do some really cool things such as create apps, provide directions, draw on the map and more.
Our newest course, Advanced MapKit, helps you bring the mapping features of your app to life with overlays, renderers, turn-by-turn directions, custom tiling, GeoJSON and more.
What’s Inside Advanced MapKit
Here’s what you’ll cover in this course:
- First, you’ll review the concepts of renderers and overlays: basically, an overlay provides the information about where you are drawing on the map, while the renderer is what you are drawing. You have the option of creating you own renderer, but MapKit also has provided several renderers for you to use.
- Next, you’ll learn how to draw on the map. You’ll see how you can apply your overlay and renderers to the map to create custom drawings.
- While maps provide a lot of useful information on a macro level, they can be incredibly vague on a micro level.
You’ll provide an extra level of detail to your maps through the use of images.
- Next, you’ll learn how to fetch directions so you can provide turn-by-turn directions in your app just as if it had Apple Maps integrated inside of it.
- Of course, providing written directions won’t be enough. You’ll work to provide your users with a visual representation of routes on a map. It’s easier to do than you might think!
- Want to make your mapping app stand out from the rest? Of course you do! You’ll discover how to change the map tiles to a different provider to give your maps a distinct appearance.
- And to take the customization even further, you’ll create an entirely new map with custom drawn elements to recreate the map with a fantasy look and feel.
- Finally, you’ll learn how GeoJSON works, and incorporate GeoJSON in your app to support annotations!
When you’re done, you’ll have a great mapping framework built up that you can easily port to your other iOS apps to really make your mapping integrations shine.
Want to get a feel for what’s included in the video? You can start watching the first episode for free right here:
Included with an Ultimate Pro Subscription
Want to dive further into this video course — or any of our 4,000+ more videos covering every key area of professional mobile development?
Our Ultimate Pro subscription provides immediate access to this course, and every other video course on the site that we publish — along with a ton of other content!
An Ultimate Professional Subscription gives you access to the following content to help you stay current:
- 4,000+ Professional-level videos for advanced developers: Access courses designed to help busy developers like you stay at the top of your game, covering new and advanced topics such as app architecture, dependency injection, advanced networking, data structures & algorithms, and much more.
- 40+ Professional-level books for advanced developers: Access our massive library of 40+ Pro mobile development books, covering advanced topics like App Architecture, Reactive Programming, Augmented Reality, Machine Learning, Test-Driven Development, and more.
- Exclusive Pro courses: Take advantage of our exclusive, focused Pro courses that are direct and to the point, to show you exactly what you need to know, without wasting time.
- Download video courses for offline viewing: Exclusive to the Pro subscription, you can download any of our video courses to watch offline via our iOS and Android apps. Learning has never been easier — or more convenient.
Existing subscribers also have a limited-time opportunity to upgrade to our new Ultimate Professional subscription at a significant discount — get the details here!