A few weeks ago, we introduced RW Community Care – a three-month series of office hours, livestreams, bootcamps, and more, designed to help the mobile development community stay connected and to keep learning — even while a lot of us who are used to the office lifestyle are now working at home.
As an extension of that, we’re excited to introduce the raywenderlich.com Learn At Home sale, to help you continue learning for less, no matter what mobile platform you’re into.
What Is the Learn At Home Sale?
The Learn At Home Sale gives you:
- 50% off all books in our online store (yes, every single book) 🎉
- Advanced iOS & Swift and Advanced Android & Kotlin book bundles for just $99.99 to help you stay at the top of your game 🎉
- Plus we have a host of winners from our Learn at Home Bundle giveaway — read on to see who the lucky winners are!
Keep reading to get all of the details on the 50% off book sale, the iOS and Android bundles, and how you can win a bundle for yourself!
50% Off All Books
To help you build your development skills and save a little of your hard-earned money, all of the books in our online store are now on sale for 50% off!
Maybe you’re looking to get started with developing for in iOS or Android; perhaps you’re looking to level up your skills with mobile architecture, testing, or reactive programming; or it could be you’re looking to sharpen your skills for whiteboard interviews or other ways to grow your career in the industry.
Whatever your needs, we’ve got you covered. And now you can build your library for less, with 50% off each and every book in our online store.
And don’t forget, any future updates to existing books are free for digital edition customers. It’s a small way to thank you for being a supporter our books.
iOS & Swift and Android & Kotlin Book Bundles
We’re pleased to announce two great advanced book bundles, perfect for the mobile developer who wants to keep their skills sharp in this ever-changing industry. All bundles include brand-new books, as well as our most popular books covering advanced iOS and Android skills!
Learn At Home Book Bundle
Our Advanced iOS & Swift Learn At Home bundle is designed for the advanced iOS developer who already knows the basics and is looking to stay at the top of their game.
This book bundle includes three, brand-new books, along with our top two books for advanced iOS developers:
- Auto Layout by Tutorials, First Edition (new!)
- App Design Apprentice, First Edition (pre-order!)
- Apple Augmented Reality by Tutorials, First Edition (new!)
- Machine Learning by Tutorials, Second Edition (updated chapters!)
- Mastering Git First Edition (new chapters!)
The cost to buy these books separately is $279.95, but you can get all five advanced iOS books for just $99.99. (That’s 64% off — you save over $150!).
If you’re serious about growing your career as an iOS developer, or you are thinking about moving from another platform to iOS, there’s no better way to position yourself as an expert in the iOS field.
Advanced Android & Kotlin Learn At Home Bundle
Our Advanced Android & Kotlin Learn At Home bundle has five books designed to grow your skills as an advanced Android developer:
- App Design Apprentice, First Edition (pre-order!)
- Mastering Git, First Edition (new chapters!)
- Advanced Android App Architecture, First Edition
- Kotlin Coroutines by Tutorials, First Edition
- Reactive Programming with Kotlin, First Edition
The cost to buy these books separately is $279.95, but you can get all five advanced Android books for just $99.99. (That’s 64% off and over $150 in savings!)
The Android and Kotlin world moves fast, and you don’t want to get left behind. There’s no better time to grow your library — and your career — with the advanced Android & Kotlin Learn At Home bundle.
Introducing Our New Books
Although we may have spilled the beans above when talking about the bundles, we’re excited to announce three brand new surprise books as part of our Learn At Home Sale this year!
New Book — Auto Layout by Tutorials
Our first new book is Auto Layout by Tutorials and it’s 100% complete and available today!
While it may seem daunting at first, Auto Layout is an elegant solution to making your user interfaces flexible and adaptable without thousands of lines of code that are both difficult to understand and troublesome to maintain.
This book will be your guide as you explore and master the many capabilities Auto Layout provides.
What’s inside Auto Layout by Tutorials:
- Interface Builder: Learn to use Interface Builder to construct and maintain your user interfaces.
- Stack Views & Scroll Views: Learn how these special view types interact with Auto Layout and how best to utilize them in your apps.
- Self-Sizing Views: Discover how to make your user interface dynamically adapt to its content.
- Animating Constraints: See how to animate your Auto Layout constraints to provide feedback, focus user attention and improve navigation.
- Adaptive Layout: Learn to use Auto Layout to make adjustments for screen size, orientation, Dynamic Type size and more.
- Resolving Common Issues: Discover how to investigate when things go awry and learn how to resolve Auto Layout conflicts.
After reading this book, you’ll be prepared to harness the full power of Auto Layout in all of your apps!
This book is 100% complete and available now. And it’s on sale for just $29.99 — that’s 50% off!
About the Authors
Jayven Nhan is an author of this book. He is an Apple scholar who contributes his best work to passion, fitness training, and nutrition. Passion makes problem-solving an enjoyment. Fitness training keeps him from staring at his Macbook, unrequited love. Nutrition gives him the epic energy he needs to power his day. He enjoys meeting passionate developers from all around the world. Outside of coding, you may find him listening to audiobooks and podcasts, reading, or watching YouTube videos.
Libranner Santos is an author of this book. He is a Software Engineer, with a passion for teaching at all levels and always eager to learn new things. Over the last few years, he has worked with many companies all over the world as a mobile developer. He’s the co-founder of saestech.com. When he’s not programming, you can probably find him at the basketball court, dancing salsa or reading a book.
New Book — Apple Augmented Reality by Tutorials
Our second brand new surprise release is Apple Augmented Reality by Tutorials!
This book is the easiest and fastest way to get hands-on experience using Apple AR frameworks and technologies like Reality Composer, RealityKit, and ARKit.
Augmented reality is going to be the next big thing — there’s absolutely no doubt about it. If you want to build realistic and immersive AR experiences for the Apple platform, this book is your golden ticket.
Our older book, ARKit by Tutorials, is a collection of ARKit-specific projects for creating various real-world AR experiences. It’s also important to point out that, in that book, there’s a focus around SceneKit as the primary rendering technology.
Apple Augmented Reality by Tutorials was developed after Apple announced RealityKit and Reality Composer. Instead of just focusing on one rendering technology, the book focuses on all the available rendering technologies Apple has to offer. This not only includes the new RealityKit, but also SceneKit and SpriteKit too. The book includes a collection of fresh new projects for creating various real-world AR experiences.
This book is a successor to ARKit by Tutorials, not an update to that book. Apple Augmented Reality by Tutorials provides the readers with a single, unified path to all of Apple’s available AR technologies that includes ARKit, RealitKit and Reality Composer.
Topics covered in Apple Augmented Reality by Tutorials:
- AR Quick Look: Discover how to integrate AR Quick Look into your apps to give them some cool AR superpowers.
- Reality Composer & Reality Files: Find out how to leverage the power of Reality Composer to create interactive AR-based experiences.
- Reality Converter & PBR Materials: Discover how PBR materials can add a level of realism to your AR objects, and how you can use Reality Converter to convert, view and customize USDZ content.
- RealityKit: Find out how to set up and use RealityKit to build a face-based augmented reality app.
- Facial Blend Shapes: Build a fully interactive augmented reality face mask that reacts to your facial expressions using blend shapes.
- ARKit: Get a complete introduction to ARKit, Apple’s framework for creating fully interactive augmented reality, and learn about the different types of rendering options available with ARKit.
- Raycasting & Physics: Learn about raycasting, 2D hit-testing and the SpriteKit physics engine as you add more features and functionality to your game.
- ECS & Collaborative Experiences: Build a collaborative AR experience and learn how to create and manage a multipeer connection.
After reading this book, you’ll have a deep understanding of the technologies and frameworks used to create powerful, immersive AR experiences for the Apple platform.
This book is available as part of our early access program; when you buy the book now, you’ll receive a free update when the book is available in full! Get it now for just $29.99 — that’s 50% off!
About the Author
Chris Language is the author of this book. Chris is a seasoned coder with 20+ years of experience, and the author of 3D Apple Games by Tutorials. He has fond memories of his childhood and his Commodore 64; more recently he started adding more good memories of life with all his Apple devices. By day, he fights for survival in the corporate jungle of Johannesburg, South Africa. By night he fights demons, dragons and zombies! For relaxation, he codes. You can find him on Twitter @ChrisLanguage Forever Coder, Artist, Musician, Gamer and Dreamer.
New Book — App Design Apprentice
Our third and final brand-new book is App Design Apprentice!
Learn modern app design with Figma! App Design Apprentice guides you through designing modern mobile apps using fundamental design principles.
If designing better UI and UX for mobile apps sounds difficult and time-consuming, don’t worry, we’ve got you covered.
Topics covered in App Design Apprentice:
- Figma: Learn the basics of a modern design tool.
- App Teardowns: Analyze and pick out the best parts of other well-designed apps.
- Wireframes: Explore what makes good app user flows.
- Reusable Components: Learn to create and use reusable components such as buttons and toolbars.
- Typography: Basics for communicating hierarchy, order, and emphasis.
- Color: How to create visual styles and palettes.
- Transitions & Animations: Create different transitions between screens to communicate relationships.
- Design Systems: Best practices for creating good app experience in each ecosystem.
By the end of this book, you’ll have the knowledge needed to design modern mobile apps that are functional and look good, no matter what platform you’re developing for.
This book is available as part of our pre-order program; when you buy the book now, you’ll be the first to receive the free upgrade to the full edition it when it’s completed this Fall!
Get it now for just $19.99 — that’s 50% off!
About the Author
Rajiv Patel is the author of this book. He has been designing and developing internet applications since 1999. He started with mobile apps from their earliest days in 2008. He’s particularly focused on emerging technologies and still gets excited about the possibilities of what’s to come. He’s happiest playing with his son and learning new things. Those happen together surprisingly often.
We’ve also been hard at work behind the scenes to bring you some updates on our most popular advanced mobile development books:
Updated Book — Machine Learning by Tutorials, 2nd ed.
We’re delighted to share that Machine Learning by Tutorials, Second Edition is now 100% updated!
Machine learning is one of those topics that can be daunting at first blush. It’s not clear where to start, what path someone should take and what APIs to learn in order to get started teaching machines how to learn.
This is where this book comes to your rescue! In this book, we’ll hold your hand through a number of tutorials, to get you started in the world of machine learning. We’ll cover a wide range of popular topics in the field of machine learning while developing apps that work on iOS devices.
We’ve updated three chapters in Machine Learning by Tutorials:
- [NEW] Natural Language Classification: Learn how to use Apple’s Natural Language framework to handle several useful text-related tasks. You’ll explore this API in the context of a movie review app that supports multiple languages.
- [NEW] Natural Language Transformation, Part 1 Learn about sequence-to-sequence models and how you can use them to do things like language translation. You’ll build a model with Keras that attempts to translate Spanish-language movie reviews into English.
- [NEW] Natural Language Transformation, Part 2 This chapter introduces additional techniques you can use to improve the performance of your sequence-to-sequence models.
By the end of this book, you’ll have a firm understanding of what machine learning is, what it can and cannot do, and how you can use machine learning in your next app!
Machine Learning by Tutorials, Second Edition is 100% complete and included in our sale for just $29.99 (50% off)!
Updated Book — Mastering Git, 1st ed.
Mastering Git has two new chapters!
Chances are if you’re involved with software development you’ve heard of and have used Git at some point in your life. Version control systems are critical for any successful collaborative software project. Git is both simple to start using and accommodating for the most complex tasks with version control. Even seasoned Git users hit roadblocks on how to handle common situations.
Mastering Git is here to help! This book is the easiest and fastest way to get hands-on experience with using Git for version control of your projects.
Here’s what’s new in Mastering Git:
[NEW] Centralized Workflow: This model means you work in
masterall the time. Although this might seem terrifying, it actually works rather well for small teams with infrequent commits.
- [NEW] The Many Faces of Undo: One of the common questions associated with git is “how can I get out of this mess?” In this chapter, you’ll learn about the different “undo” commands that Git provides — what they are and when to use them.
One thing you can count on: after reading this book, you’ll be well-prepared to use Git in your own software development workflow!
This book is available as part of our early access program; when you buy the book now, you’ll receive a free update when the book is available in full!
Updated Book — Core Data by Tutorials, 7th ed.
Core Data by Tutorials has a brand-new chapter on implementing iCloud-backed data synchronization in your apps!
Take control of your data in iOS apps using Core Data, through a series of high-quality hands-on tutorials. Start with the basics like setting up your own Core Data Stack all the way to advanced topics like migration, performance, multithreading, and more!
By the end of this book, you’ll have hands-on experience with Core Data and will be ready to use it in your own apps.
This edition includes a brand new chapter:
- [NEW] NSPersistentCloudKitContainer: Your users may have multiple devices, and they’d love your app to run on them all, and for the data to be shared between them. In this chapter, you will learn how to get iCloud-backed data synchronization (almost) for free using NSPersistentCloudKitContainer.
Core Data by Tutorials is available now for just $29.99 — that’s 50% off!
Updated Book — Android Apprentice, 3rd ed.
Learning Android programming can be challenging. Sure, there is plenty of documentation, but the tools and libraries available today for Android are easily overwhelming for newcomers to Android and Kotlin.
Android Apprentice takes a different approach to beginning app development. From building a simple first app, all the way to a fully-featured podcast player app, this book walks you step-by-step, building on basic concepts to advanced techniques so you can build amazing apps worthy of the Google Play Store!
There’s a ton of updates in this book; too numerous to list: this edition of the book includes updates to Android Studio 3, Kotlin 1.3, Android 10, as well as Gradle updates. It also addresses numerous errata provided by you and other readers in the forums.
During our Learn At Home Sale, you can get the Android Apprentice for only $29.99 — that’s 50% off!
Updated Book — iOS Apprentice, 8th ed.
In the iOS Apprentice, you will learn how to make your own iPhone and iPad apps, through six engaging, epic-length tutorials. Each new app will be a little more advanced than the one before, and together they cover everything you need to know to make your own apps.
We’ve restructured the flow of the book to guide the reader through the basics of Swift and iOS development by learning UIKit first, then building toward learning Apple’s more recent SwiftUI as you rebuild the UIKit sample apps, but this time using SwiftUI.
By the end of the series, you’ll be experienced enough to turn your ideas into real apps that you can sell on the App Store.
iOS Apprentice is available on sale today for the special sale price of $29.99 — that’s 50% off!
Upcoming Updates for Books
We also wanted to give you a “heads up” on some books that we’re in the process of updating, and will be released later this year. If you buy the digital edition of the book now, you’ll automatically get the updated next edition for free!
Upcoming Updates — Advanced iOS App Architecture
Our plans for Advanced iOS App Architecture include replacing RxSwift with Combine, and providing other upgrades, throughout the book.
Advanced iOS App Architecture guides you through building one real-world app written in different architectures to give you hands-on and practical experience working in different architectures.
This book will also guide you through the theory you need to gain a solid foundation of architecture concepts so that you can make your own informed decisions on how to use them in your codebase.
After reading this book, you’ll have the knowledge to decide which types of architecture components suit your apps and you’ll have a deep understanding of the covered architectures.
You can get the current edition of Advanced iOS App Architecture now for just $29.99 (50% off) as part of our Learn At Home sale!
Upcoming Updates — RxSwift: Reactive Programming with Swift
Learn reactive programming in Swift with RxSwift! The popularity of reactive programming continues to grow on an ever-increasing number of platforms and languages. Rx lets developers easily and quickly build apps with code that can be understood by other Rx developers — even over different platforms.
Not only will you learn how to use the RxSwift port to create complex reactive applications on iOS, but you’ll also see how to easily solve common application design issues by using RxSwift. Finally, you’ll discover how to exercise full control over the library and leverage full power of reactive programming in your apps.
By the end of the book, you’ll have hands-on experience solving common issues in a reactive paradigm — and you’ll be well on your way to coming up with your own Rx patterns and solutions!
RxSwift will be updated to RxSwift 5.1 and Xcode 11. However, the current edition is available now for just $29.99 (50% off)!
Upcoming Updates — Reactive Programming with Kotlin
The popularity of reactive programming continues to grow on an ever-increasing number of platforms and languages. Rx lets developers easily and quickly build apps with code that can be understood by other Rx developers—even over different platforms.
Not only will you learn how to use RxJava to create complex reactive applications on Android, but you’ll also see how to solve common application design issues by using RxJava. Finally, you’ll discover how to exercise full control over the library and leverage the full power of reactive programming in your apps.
By the end of the book, you’ll have hands-on experience solving common issues in a reactive paradigm—and you’ll be well on your way to coming up with your own Rx patterns and solutions!
RxAndroid will be updated to Android 10, Android Studio 4.0 and Kotlin 1.3.7. However, the current edition is available now for just $29.99 (50% off)!
Upcoming Updates — SwiftUI by Tutorials
SwiftUI by Tutorials will be updated to Swift 5.2 and Xcode 11.4.
But that’s not all! We’ve also listened to reader feedback and have included fixes to errata and bugs reported, such as issues with controls and user input, gestures, accessibility, animations, and state and data flow.
SwiftUI — the latest addition to the Apple toolkit — will help you build the most fluid and engaging declarative UI for their apps with as little code as possible.
The current edition of SwiftUI by Tutorials is available on sale today for the special sale price of $29.99 (50% off)!
Learn At Home Giveaway
As a final bonus, we were planning to give away five free Advanced iOS & Swift or Advanced Android & Kotlin Bundles to some lucky readers!
However – the response to our giveaway was so amazing, that we’ve doubled the number of prizes: ten iOS or Android Learn at Home bundles to our winners on the post, and ten iOS or Android Learn at Home bundles to the winners from our Twitter giveaway!
Here are just some of the wonderful responses we got from members of the community:
— 𝕿homas 𝕵eans (@thomasjeans) May 23, 2020
@pin_D_C : an iOS developer who always try to improve his code and learn new things, so he deserves to get one of these books 😊
— Bouchra BEKKOUCHE (@bouchra_lmr) May 23, 2020
@NicoonGuitar youuuuuuuu deserve it !!! 🤘🏻
— Claire Sivadier (@Claire_Rimel) May 24, 2020
@akshay81844 should received the android & kotlin bundles, he is a community contributor and with this I believe he can contribute more.
— Muhammad Rahmatullah (@muh_rahmatullah) May 22, 2020
And the winners are:
Congratulations to the winners! Our Customer Support and Marketing Teams will be in touch shortly to see which bundle you’d prefer.
We’ve created a special FAQ page devoted to the Learn At Home Sale, to answer any questions you might have:
Where to Go From Here?
Here’s a recap of our Learn At Home Sale:
- Advanced iOS & Swift Bundle for just $99.99: Save big with our Advanced iOS & Swift Bundle, containing our three newly announced books and two other must-haves for your development library for just $99.99 (66% off)!
- Advanced Android & Kotlin Bundle for just $99.99: Learn more for less with Advanced Android & Kotlin Bundle, containing two of our newly announced books and three of our most popular Android books for just $99.99 (66% off)!
- 50% of all single books: Visit our store page to see everything that’s on sale, including 50% off all of our individual books!
We hope that this event not only celebrates the hard work our book teams have put in to bring you the most up-to-date and relevant mobile development books, but also that it can bring some positive growth to your life and career aspirations as well.
We hope you enjoy everything in our Learn At Home Sale — and on behalf of the entire raywenderlich.com team, thank you for your support! :]