iPad Tutorial for iOS: UISplitView Tutorial

Discussion of the official tutorials published on raywenderlich.com. Please only discuss the official tutorials here - for general questions, use the General Discussion forum instead.

Re: iPad for iPhone Developers 101: UISplitView Tutorial

Postby Ricardo » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:48 pm

Hi Ray!

Look out that this tutorial code refers to ".jpg" images but the downloaded images (inside the .zip file) are all ".png" images.
Just to let you know that and someone who may not be seeing any image when doing this tutorial.

Thanks for your great tutorials!! :)
Ricardo
Ricardo
n00b

Postby tope » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:24 pm

joelparker wrote:This is a great tutorial. Any ideas how to make a UISplitViewController with 3 views side by side ? The way Twitter and Remember the Milk applications use. This link describes it as the Master-Detail-More model (http://www.buildingiphoneapps.com/2011/ ... r.html?m=1)

That twitter interface is a cool one, eh?

There are some open source controls you can use. I used this https://github.com/raweng/StackScrollView for one of my apps and worked like a charm.
tope
Team Member
Hacker

Postby kmc » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:58 am

Hi Ray!

Thanks for your tutorial. The last several weeks im stucked at the DetailItemview. :cry:
I created an ipad app where you can view a fullscreen picture in landscape mode if you tap on the detailview. In the detailviewcontroller, I firs hide the masterview and then push the detailitemview. But the problem is that the detailitemview doesnt go into fullscreen mode in landscape but only cover the detailview area...

There were some alternative for MGsplitviewcontroller but i think that is a bit overkill as i already used a lots of 3rd party controllers in my project.

Is there a quicker way to push a detailitemview in fullscreen mode into the navigation stack?

Code: Select all
- (void)carousel:(iCarousel *)_carousel didSelectItemAtIndex:(NSInteger)index
{
   if (index == carousel.currentItemIndex)
   {

//calls the detailview MethodsViewController nib.
        MethodsViewController *methodsViewController=[[MethodsViewController alloc] initWithNibName:@"MethodsViewController" bundle:[NSBundle mainBundle]];
        NSInteger selectedRecipe =index;
        NSLog(@"Did select current item %i", selectedRecipe);
        methodsViewController.selectedRecipe=selectedRecipe;   

iPadSuperAppDelegate *del = (iPadSuperAppDelegate *)[[UIApplication sharedApplication]delegate];
        UISplitViewController *split = del.splitViewController;

UIViewController *master=[split.viewControllers objectAtIndex:0];
        UIViewController *detail=[split.viewControllers objectAtIndex:1];

master.view.hidden=!master.view.hidden;
        detail.view.frame=split.view.bounds;
        //left is objectAtIndex:0, right is objectAtIndex:1       

[self.navigationController pushViewController:methodsViewController animated:YES];
        [methodsViewController    release];
   }
   else
   {
      NSLog(@"Did select item number %i", index);
   }

}
kmc
Baby Hacker

Postby Josh The Geek » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:46 am

Hi,
Thank you for the awesome tutorial!
While I was doing this tutorial, I changed some of the text around for an app I was trying to make, an Objective C reference.
When I got to the part right after adding all of the data to the array, I built and ran the app. None of the items in the sidebar showed up.
I added a breakpoint to numberOfRowsInSection, and I saw in the debugger that the array was empty. I saw that inside of didFinishLaunching... the array initialized just fine, so I think that it just doesn't pass the array to LeftViewController. I downloaded the finished code zip, and my code was identical with the exceptions of some changes to the model class and the text.
Suggestions? I am using Xcode 3.2.6 on Snow Leopard with iOs 4.3 Simulator.
Thanks,
Josh The Geek
(P.S. I'm in high school.)
Josh The Geek
n00b

Postby Josh The Geek » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:33 am

Never mind. I was missing a line :oops:
Thanks,
Josh The Geek
Josh The Geek
n00b

Postby vrajcok » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:15 am

Hi, I have a problem. App to do a level is not a problem. UISplitView need to call on the second level. I have a tool bar on it and Button Bar, which calls [_window addSubview: splitViewController.view] and where I want to create UISplitController? Can I do this?

Thank you.
vrajcok
n00b

Postby andrelcm » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:15 am

Is it possible to configure the master view to divide the screen in portrait orientation, like the Mail app (including swipe to show it)?
andrelcm
n00b

Postby rhezann » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:33 am

Hey Mr. Ray, I'm one of those daily readers from your tutorials since I've started developing iOS apps and I find it very helpful to me since then, I appreciate everything you've done great on this site! , now I want to ask some few questions regarding SplitViewController on ipad.

Can you provide me some tutorials on creating SplitViewController like Settings on iPad when on in portrait view not using popovers but likely same as its view on landscape when on portrait mode, I want to know this and implemented in Storyboard. Thanks in advance!
rhezann
n00b

Postby elephantman » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:22 am

hi

in my app i need to use splitview within a tab bar controller and it will not be the root view controller. is it possible? is there any example for this? or could you just help me how can i handle the appdelegate.m page code to show splitview controller in tabbar?
elephantman
Hacker

Postby ZillaG » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:19 am

Anyway to update with with IOS5/Xcode 4.x? For example, the Window-based application is no longer available in Xcode 4.x.

Also cool to update using ARC.
ZillaG
n00b

PreviousNext

Return to Official Tutorials