Cocos2d via MiniGames Workshop My Experience

This is the official forum for Learning Cocos2D: A Hands-On Guide to Building iPhone and iPad Games with Cocos2D, Box2D, and Chipmunk by Rod Strougo and Ray Wenderlich, published by Addison-Wesley.

Cocos2d via MiniGames Workshop My Experience

Postby Kakil » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:08 pm

I attended the June Cocos2d via MiniGames workshop in Atlanta, June 2011. I've been holding off on posting about it until today. My purpose in attending this workshop was for my own personal growth and development in Objective-C, Cocoa Touch, and Cocos2d. However, a friend at work talked about possibly pitching some game ideas to management. I told him about the workshop and he decided to attend as well. My intent was still on my own personal goals.

We attended the two jam-packed days over a weekend. The workshop was entertaining and very informative. Rod and Ray really know their stuff when it comes to Cocos2d and iOS. We had a great time and lots of material to pour over after the workshop was over.

Three days after attending the workshop we had a staff meeting with our manager and she talked somewhat off-handedly about creating some sort of social media app(s). We told her that we thought creating such an app was possible, but didn't say too much. After the meeting the next day we quickly brainstormed three games to do as proof of concept. We then asked our manager to schedule as short 30 minute meeting. We didn't say too much about what it was that we wanted to show her. During the next 3 working days ( Friday, Monday, and Tuesday ) we completed two proof-of-concept mini-games. The first would be considered a child's side-scrolling game, and the other was a board-based card trivia game. The third game we didn't have time to do, and it was really a much broader concept. One note we did get help with the graphics from a UI designer at the company.

So, we met with her on Wednesday, and presented both games. She was very impressed. We had implemented two games complete with Menu screens, game play, HUDs, and end of game screens. The end game screens had links to external sites, and the app store. We also implemented Facebook and Twitter for tweeting, and posting game screenshots to your Wall.

She was so excited she scheduled a meeting a week later with a senior director of marketing and her managers. We had that meeting today, and killed it once again. Everyone loved the games, and are ready to move forward with actually creating games for the company.

Let me say that like almost everyone who plays a game I have dreamed of making a game. With the training that we got from Rod and Ray we did two games (small games) in less than 30 hours of work! That is the first time ever that I have designed and implemented a game idea. Now I can really consider myself a game developer.

If Rod, Ray, and Shawn host another game workshop and you want to get a great introduction to making games you should make the effort to go. I can really say that that weekend has changed my career. I love iOS development, and I think that those two days will prove to be big when I look back on things a few years from now. The guys provided enough information for at least another day if not two, and the price was beyond reasonable.

Kitwana
Kakil
Subscriber since Jun 18, 2014
Baby Hacker

Re: Cocos2d via MiniGames Workshop My Experience

Postby rwenderlich » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:06 pm

@Kakil: Wow, thanks so much, those are extremely kind words, and Rod, Shawn and I are so happy to hear you got so much out of the course. Especially that you were able to take the information and apply it at work to such great success, that is awesome!!

We really appreciate that you took the time to write this kind note. This really makes all the time & energy it takes to put a workshop like this together worth it!!

By the way, would it be OK with you if we use some of your lines from this post in future promotional material for the workshop?

Thanks again and keep up making games!! :]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Ray Wenderlich
Blog: http://www.raywenderlich.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/rwenderlich
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
rwenderlich
Team Member
Site Admin

Postby Kakil » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:14 pm

Hi Ray,

Of course you can use anything from my post. Thanks again for the great course, and I'm looking forward to attending more from you, Rod, and Shawn.

Kitwana
Kakil
Subscriber since Jun 18, 2014
Baby Hacker

Postby charlie » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:03 pm

@Kitwana awesome story man, I loved the class too.
charlie
Team Member
iOS Tutorial Team Member

Return to Learning Cocos2D Book Official Forum