How To Easily Create A Web Backend for Your Apps with Parse

Discussion of the official tutorials published on raywenderlich.com. Please only discuss the official tutorials here - for general questions, use the General Discussion forum instead.

Re: How To Easily Create A Web Backend for Your Apps with Pa

Postby maziyar » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:12 pm

Awesome tutorial.

I started to develop an app for Newsstand (a monthly magazine with subscription and also user can buy single issue as well) which is the collection of everything (push notification, auto renewal subscription, and in-app purchase). I ended up with choosing a provider for building the backend for so many reasons.

I saw Parse has in-app purchase too but I didn't see anything about supporting Newsstand subscription like Urban Airship. Is it going to be a problem using Parse for Newsstand? If it's not a problem can I ask which one you think is a better option for start Urban Airship or Parse?

Once again thanks a lot for the awesome tutorial and the rest of the website is rock! I've learnt a lot from you guys :)
maziyar
Baby Hacker

Postby lionserdar » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:59 pm

very nice tutorial
lionserdar
Subscriber since Feb 10, 2014
Baby Hacker

Postby maziyar » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:31 am

Hi

Error
Code: Select all
Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInvalidArgumentException', reason: 'PFFile cannot be larger than 10485760 bytes'

If you implemented this on your device and got this error for the limitation of size replace this line of code:

NSData *pictureData = UIImagePNGRepresentation(self.imgToUpload.image);

with this line in UploadImageViewController.m file:
NSData *pictureData = UIImageJPEGRepresentation(self.imgToUpload.image, 0.9f);

Works fine.
maziyar
Baby Hacker

Postby scriptonian » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:36 pm

why the warning

Assigning to 'id<UINavigationControllerDelegate,UIImagePickerControllerDelegate>' from incompatible type 'UploadImageViewController *const __strong'

Because your class has to conform to the follow protocols :-)

<UIImagePickerControllerDelegate,UINavigationControllerDelegate>
scriptonian
Hacker

Postby PeterVanhee » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:15 pm

Great article, Antonio.

I have following question on the use of Parse and other BaaS: can these Web Backend solutions be used for synchronizing data on multiple iPads? I'm thinking of a business app where user logs in on one iPad and creates his set of data and when logging in on another iPad this data is instantly synchronized over there. Data is alos proper to each user.
PeterVanhee
n00b

Postby cpapa » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:15 pm

I am suffering by an error "Thread 1:EXC_BREAKPOINT (code=EXC_I386_BPT,subcode=0x0)" after finishing the step -> Preparing Parse Posthaste. What wrong with me?
cpapa
Baby Hacker

Creating My My Own Interface

Postby tflawlis » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:23 pm

This, and the previous tutorial, really solved many problems I have had in using my own web resources (ie: MySQL). Most notably, security. I would really like to delve into the world of developing my own interface to my own websites, as opposed to using a public BaaS. Developing my own BaaS, I guess. Anyway, is it possible to do another tutorial that gets into these details? It would need to cover how to add/delete/get data from a MySQL as well as how to setup the html/php to interface with MySQL.

Any thoughts on something like this?

Great job on getting me motivated on getting my thoughts out here!
Frank
tflawlis
Baby Hacker

Postby rcasey » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:14 pm

Check out these tutorials:

The first one shows how to create a PHP web service that runs against a MySQL database.
The second one shows how to call that web service from your IOS app.

Have fun!
rcasey
Team Member
Forum Subject Matter Expert

Postby maziyar » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:57 am

PeterVanhee wrote:Great article, Antonio.

I have following question on the use of Parse and other BaaS: can these Web Backend solutions be used for synchronizing data on multiple iPads? I'm thinking of a business app where user logs in on one iPad and creates his set of data and when logging in on another iPad this data is instantly synchronized over there. Data is alos proper to each user.

Of course it's possible. That's a whole point of using a Backend service (whether you built it or just using a provider). You can easily fetch the data each time you app is launched (in both iPhone or iPad).

You can do that either by using Core Data and fetch the objects or using any other methods you're ok with. But if you want to create an offline access or anything like that you're gonna need an SQLite in your device to keep these records and sync them when the device is connected to the Internet.

But be careful about the offline ability. Users can do things (CRUD) and you should let them just do reading part. THey may delta or update something that others are doing something else and when they sync they may see an unexpected results.

But up until offline part it's totally cool and possible as soon as user logged in or just simply tap on a sync button.
maziyar
Baby Hacker

Postby iimgal » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:16 am

Hi,I need to know how to asynchronous download a image.
Because if use the method like this DEMO, Users will wait so long time when they request some data from Parse.
Has a method like SDWebImage?
iimgal
n00b

PreviousNext

Return to Official Tutorials