Open Call For Tutorial Suggestions!

General discussion about iOS development - a great place to ask questions about iOS or help out others. For discussion of the official tutorials, see the Official Tutorials forum.

Open Call For Tutorial Suggestions!

Postby rwenderlich » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:08 pm

Hi guys,

I'd like to experiment with a new way of writing tutorials - by taking suggestions from you guys!

If you have an idea for a tutorial, post it here in this thread. Then every so often, I'll take the top 5 most promising ones and put them in the sidebar of the site so people can vote for their favorite. There's actually a vote open there right now!

Let me know if you guys like this system or have any suggestions. We'll see how it goes!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Ray Wenderlich
Blog: http://www.raywenderlich.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/rwenderlich
rwenderlich
Team Member
Site Admin

Re: Open Call For Tutorial Suggestions!

Postby Graham » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:35 pm

2d platformer using cocos2d and tilemaps would be AWESOME!!!
Graham
Hacker

Postby chicago » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:23 pm

@ Ray, How about a tutorial that shows how to code up a wheel like this.

What I have read is that this guy created this using WebKit, but this could be useful to use at the start of a game for choices such as, Play, Resume, Quit, Check Scores and so on. I had no idea that WebKit could do all of that and if so, there must be a way to do the same in the iOS SDK. Anyway, that's my suggestion for you.

Phillip
chicago
Uber Haxx0r

Postby chicago » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:02 am

@ Ray. This may be a little selfish on my part, but I would really like to understand how to break a game up into reusable components.

IOW's, we would have our HelloWorldScene as always, but instead of loading that implementation file will all of our code, we could, for instance, break it up into several other meaningful files such as GamePlay, Pause, ScoreList, MenuList and so on. The goal, to all of this effort, would be to demo how we can create a cool app while coding up reusable code that could be added to our gaming repertoire.

At the moment, I am trying to do this with my version of your Bouncing Balls app and may have set a Personal Best for compiler errors generated in one day. :mrgreen:

Anyway, that's another suggestion for you to chew on.

Thanks! ~ Phillip
chicago
Uber Haxx0r

Postby Kalgar » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:28 am

Perhaps some Unit Testing / TDD stuff? I don't know if you do any of that, but it may well be useful!

Maybe a walkthrough of xCode 4 for newbs or people still only just now moving up to it?

Perhaps a "putting it all together" tutorial, since there are a fair few tutes on how to do different things, but perhaps a way to integrate them neatly (say, graphics, facebook, net code, etc)?

Just some food for thought. Or random words typed in an order that seemingly makes sense.
Kalgar
Hacker

Postby tcarter » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:15 pm

Ray, thanks for the site - it has really helped me understand more advanced topics.

I'd like to see tutorials on dynamic layout management (ala 320 gridlayout). i am writing internal business applications for iPad would like something like the layout managers available in java.

thx
tcarter
n00b

Postby pnhoang » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:34 pm

Hi, I would like to see more tutorials for interface design especially on the iPad. How you manipulate different types of devices is good to know. Thanks.
pnhoang
Baby Hacker

Postby IOSNewbie » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:37 pm

I'd like to see a tutorial that would address the issue of customized keyboards for editing UITextFields. I've seen some apps that do a nice job of popping up customized keypads depending upon the nature of the data being input. For example, if entering a telephone number, the keypad would have the digits 0-9, the hyphen and the left and right parentheses. As a new IOS developer, I'm just not sure of the best way to approach this problem.
IOSNewbie
n00b

Postby rwenderlich » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:12 pm

Awesome guys, thanks for all the great ideas so far!

Just as an FYI, I currently have a vote up there for the next tutorial, next Monday/Tuesday I'll shut down that vote & do a tutorial on whatever the winner is. At that time I'll put up the next vote, which will be a combination of whatever got 2nd/3rd place on the previous vote, and some of the suggestions here.
Ray Wenderlich
Blog: http://www.raywenderlich.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/rwenderlich
rwenderlich
Team Member
Site Admin

Postby jdcocos2d » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:21 pm

Game Center multiplayer (auto-match, friend invites) and maybe leaderboards and acheivements (which seem easier). Rage comics will come easy and often.
jdcocos2d
Hacker

Next

Return to General Discussion