We’ve dropped hints about this in the past, but today we’re making this official – we are pleased to announce our latest book (coming soon), iOS 6 by Tutorials!
iOS 6 by Tutorials is a completly new book for intermediate to advanced developers that covers the new APIs in iOS 6, such as Auto Layout, Collection Views, Passbook, the Social Framework, and much more.
We’re excited about this book for two reasons:
- It is the biggest book we’ve ever written. At an estimated 1,400+ pages, it’s the length of 2-3 books for the price of 1!
- It is also the best book we’ve ever written. Each tutorial dives deeply into its subject while making it easy to understand, in the high quality style you know and love.
In the end, this book is the definitive way to get up-to-speed with all the new APIs in iOS 6 in the quickest and easiest way – through fun and hands-on tutorials!
Keep reading to find out what’s in the book, when it will come out, what this means for iOS 5 by Tutorials, and a note about a special iOS 6 surprise :]
What’s In the Book?
First, there are 6 “Core Topics” in the book with massive coverage – 2 huge chapters each, taking you from a beginner to a master:
- Auto Layout: Learn how to make your views easier to localize and more adaptable to different sizes – both in the Storyboard editor and programatically.
- UICollectionView: Learn how to easily display your data in a grid, and get many practical examples of creating unique custom layouts!
- Passbook: Learn how to create your own passes on your own server and modify them dynamically at runtime with push notifications!
- In-App Purchases: Learn how to make a completely dynamic server-based In-App Purchasing system with Apple’s new hosted downloads feature.
- Social Framework: Learn how to share data to social frameworks and access the Facebook API programatically to list wall posts, “like” a page, and more!
- Challenges with GameKit: Learn how to send challenges to friends in your game, and create a cool server-based “ghost challenge” feature!
Then, we cover a bunch of other smaller but still very important new aspects of iOS 6:
- Modern Objective-C: Learn how the new syntax can make your code cleaner and easier to read.
- Attributed Strings: Learn how to build your own customized rich text editor!
- State Preservation and Restoration: Learn how to make your app pick up where it left off.
- What’s New with Core Image: Learn about the new Core Image filters in iOS 6, and how to apply them to live videos!
- What’s New with MapKit: Learn about MapKit changes and improved Maps integration.
- What’s New with EventKit: Learn about the new ability to view and edit reminders programmatically.
- What’s New with Cocoa Touch: Learn about the new UITableView pull-to-refresh feature, viewDidUnload deprecation, autorotation mods, and more.
- What’s New with Storyboards: Learn about segue unwinding, view controller containment, and more.
- What’s New with UI Customization: Learn about the new UI customization options in iOS 6!
And finally, we are even throwing in a few bonus chapters on topics not necessarily new to iOS 6, but that we haven’t covered on this site before. We thought you might find them handy!
- Automated Testing: Learn how to configure unit testing, UI testing, and continuous integration in your apps!
- Accessibility: Learn how to make your iOS apps accessibile to those with disabilities.
- Secrets of Info.plist: Learn everything you ever wanted to know about Info.plist!
By the time you’re finished reading this book, your skills will be completely up to date with iOS 6, and you’ll be ready to use these new technologies right away in your apps.
When Can I Get It?
iOS 6 by Tutorials will be released when the iOS 6 NDA lifts. When this is, nobody knows :]
But the current indications/rumors point to sometime this month. So stay tuned!
What About iOS 5 by Tutorials?
“But wait!”, you might think. “What about iOS 5 by Tutorials?”
Don’t worry – we haven’t given up on iOS 5 by Tutorials! In fact, the two books are meant to be complementary to each other – each book will focus on the APIs introduced in that version of the OS.
In fact, we hope to update iOS 5 by Tutorials to iOS 6 (ironically enough) sometime soon – we just haven’t had a chance yet because we’ve been so busy getting iOS 6 by Tutorials ready.
To thank those who have purchased iOS 5 by Tutorials (and regular readers of this site) when iOS 6 by Tutorials first comes out there will be an “early bird” discount for a limited time. So stay tuned!
An iOS 6 Surprise
As a final note, we also have a special surprise in store for you for when the iOS 6 NDA lifts. Can you guess what it is?
Those of you who have been reading this site for a while might be able to guess ;]
Check in again when the NDA lifts – we can’t wait. We hope you all enjoy the new book!