WatchKit by Tutorials:
Making Apple Watch Apps with Swift
If you are interested in purchasing a book about watchOS 2 that is fully up-to-date for Swift 2 and iOS 9, please check out our brand new book, watchOS 2 by Tutorials available 14 Oct 2015.
Who Is This Book For?
This book is for intermediate iOS developers who already know the basics of iOS and Swift development but want to learn how to use WatchKit to develop hybrid apps, Glances, and notifications for the Apple Watch.
If you’re a complete beginner to iOS and Swift development, you can follow along with this book as well because the tutorials are always in a step-by-step format. However, there may be some gaps in your knowledge, so you might want to go through the iOS Apprentice Series first.
This book is up-to-date for iOS 8, Swift 1.2 and Xcode 6.
WatchKit by Tutorials: Making Apple Watch Apps with Swift
Get a head start making apps for the Apple Watch, using WatchKit and Swift.
Here’s a detailed look at each chapter in the book:
- Chapter 1, Hello Apple Watch!: You’ll click File\New Project and write a simple Apple Watch app from scratch!
- Chapter 2, Architecture: WatchKit apps have a very interesting architecture; part of the app resides on your iPhone, and part on the Apple Watch itself. Learn how it works!
- Chapter 3, UI Controls: Learn about the new WatchKit-specific UI controls, such as WatchKit labels, images, buttons, switches, sliders, maps, and more.
- Chapter 4, Layout: WatchKit apps don’t use Auto Layout; they have their own layout system. Learn how it works and how to support different watch screen sizes!
- Chapter 5, Tables: Tables are an extremely useful control in Apple Watch development – learn how to use them here!
- Chapter 6, Navigation: Learn about the three styles of navigation you can use in your WatchKit apps: hierarchy, page-based, and modal.
- Chapter 7, Menus: Learn how to use menus to let users perform tasks in your app, rather than cluttering up your user interface with buttons.
- Chapter 8, Sharing Data: Learn how to share data such as files or a Core Data persistent store between the containing iOS app and WatchKit extension.
- Chapter 9, Glances: Give your users a quick preview of your app’s content on their Apple Watch, using Glances.
- Chapter 10, Deep Linking with Handoff: Learn how to make your interface contextually aware by passing information from your Glance to your WatchKit app using Handoff.
- Chapter 11, Notifications: Learn how to customize the display of, and interact with, both local and remote notifications displayed by the Apple Watch.
- Chapter 12, Image Caching and Animation: The only type of animation supported in WatchKit is playing a pre-made sequence of images. Learn how to generate and work with these in practice!
- Chapter 13, iCloud Document Storage: iCloud documents are a great way to transfer data between your apps. Learn how to use them here!
- Chapter 14, Performance and Tips/Tricks: This chapter includes a bunch of tips and tricks to get the best performance from your apps.
- Appendix I, Setting up Notifications in the iOS App: Learn how to enable support for local and remote notifications in a iOS app, which is essential if you want to support notifications on the Apple Watch.
- Appendix II, Setting up a Push Notification Server: Learn how to set up your own push notification server so that you can send push notifications to your Apple Watch users.
File formats and delivery
The source code will come as Xcode projects and the book will come in PDF format. You can download it on your My Loot page immediately after purchasing.
The print version of WatchKit by Tutorials will be ready some time after WatchKit is out of beta. Once it is ready, if you purchase the print version of the book it will be shipped out within 3-5 business days of ordering (and then please allow time for delivery – time varies widely based on country).
What’s your refund policy?
We have a 30-day 100% satisfaction guarantee for the PDF version. We do not offer refunds for the print version. If you buy the Print + PDF Bundle, then the PDF portion is refundable for half the cost of the bundle.
If you have any further questions that the above description hasn’t covered, feel free to ask a question in the forums and we’ll get to you as soon as possible!
What are you waiting for?
This book is the best way to get a head start making Apple Watch apps with Swift.
Rather than bang your head against the wall trying to learn these topics by scouring boring API references, learn WatchKit the easy way: via tutorials, in the style you know and love from this site!
Start your journey of becoming a WatchKit master by purchasing WatchKit by Tutorials today! :]
You might also like our other products:
watchOS by Tutorials
Get a head start making apps for the Apple Watch, using watchOS 3 and Swift 3.
From $54.99 LEARN MORE
Intermediate Swift Bundle
Two books to help you get up-to-speed with the latest developments in iOS 9 and watchOS 2!
From $99.99 LEARN MORE
Mega Swift Bundle
The ultimate iOS library - 7 books with everything you need to become an iOS 9 and Swift 2 master!
From $299 LEARN MORE