iOS 8 by Tutorials
Learning the new iOS 8 APIs with Swift
Who is This Book For?
This book is for intermediate to advanced developers, who already know the basics of iOS and Swift development but want to learn the new APIs introduced in iOS 8.
If you’re a complete beginner to iOS and Swift development, you can follow along with this book as well, because the tutorials are always in a step-by-step process. However, there may be some missing gaps in your knowledge so you might want to go through the iOS Apprentice Series first.
iOS 8 by Tutorials: Learning the new iOS 8 APIs with Swift
Learn about the new APIs in iOS 8 such as Adaptive UI, App Extensions, and Cloud Kit!
Section I: Adaptive Layout
In this section, you’ll learn a completely new approach to building user interfaces for iOS 8; ones that are completely independent of device, screen size, resolution or device orientation.
You’ll be introduced to trait collections, size classes and universal storyboards, each of which will not only help you build the best interfaces for the current crop of iOS devices, but for future ones as well.
￼￼￼Here’s a quick overview of the chapters in this section:
- Chapter 1, Introducing Adaptive Layout: Before you dive into any code, you’ll be given an overview of what Adaptive Layout is and the reasons why you should give serious consideration to this new design paradigm.
- Chapter 2, Beginning Adaptive Layout: You’ll learn how to use Interface Builder to create user interfaces that seamlessly adapt to different devices, resolutions and orientations.
- Chapter 3, Intermediate Adaptive Layout: You’ll take Adaptive Layout to the next level and learn about self-sizing table view cells, installable views, trait collections, and size-class dependent assets.
- Chapter 4, Adaptive View Controller Hierarchies: Adaptive Layout affects not only your views, but view controllers as well. In this chapter you’ll learn about UISplitViewController, which is now available on iPhone, and how to upgrade a legacy application to take advantage of it.
- Chapter 5, Transition Coordinators: You’ll learn about the significant upgrades to transition coordinators, which were first introduced in iOS 7, and how to implement the new layout transitions as well.
- Chapter 6, Introducing Presentation Controllers: You’ll dig into iOS 8 approach of presenting view controllers and how the new APIs natively support adaptive layouts.
- Chapter 7, Custom Presentations: Building on Chapter 6, this chapter shows you how to add polish to your apps with custom presentations.
Section II: App Extensions
App Extensions are one of the most anticipated features of iOS 8; they let you extend your app’s content and functionality throughout the rest of the OS. Such extensions allow you to present custom functionality in other apps and gives users the power of your applications when and where they need it most.
Once you’ve completed the following seven chapters you’ll no doubt wonder how you ever survived without App Extensions – both as a developer and as a user.
￼￼￼￼￼￼￼￼￼￼￼Here’s a quick overview of the chapters in this section:
- Chapter 8, Introducing Extensions: Get a quick overview of what App Extensions are, their API, some of the limitations imposed by Apple, and an overview of how to add one to an existing app.
- Chapter 9, Today Extensions: You’ll learn how to create Today Extensions, the iOS equivalent of desktop widgets. They’re a great way to provide immediate and up-to-date information to your users.
- Chapter 10, Share Extensions: You’ll see how to craft extensions that let users share content directly to your web service from within whichever app they’re using at the time.
- Chapter 11, Action Extensions: Build exciting extensions that let users view, transform, or manipulate content within the context of the host app. Think Google Translate, but in real-time, in-place, without ever leaving the web page.
- Chapter 12, Photo Editing Extensions: Does your app offer photo filters, or some other kind of photo manipulation functionality? Ever wish you could provide that same functionality to other third-party apps, or even Apple’s stock apps? Well now you can! You’ll learn how to create extensions to do exactly this.
- Chapter 13, Document Provider Extensions: Learn how to build extensions that allow users to send and receive files between apps. You’ll also learn how to present cloud storage services as if they were the local file system. Document Providers allow iOS apps to share, edit, and update each other’s files.
- Chapter 14, Keyboard Extensions: You’ll replace the system keyboard with one of your own; iOS is now open to the world of intelligent swipe, Emoji, and animated GIF keyboards.
Section III: Major New Features
In this section, you’ll learn about the biggest and most important new features and frameworks in iOS 8 not already covered in this book.
You’ll cover Apple’s entry into the BaaS (Backend as a Service) sector, a new and highly performant way to render 3D content in your app, a much improved way to access and manipulate users’ photos, how to render your custom views and controls in Interface Builder and much, much more.
Here’s a quick overview of the chapters in this section:
- Chapter 15, Beginning CloudKit: You’ll learn what CloudKit is, why you should use it and gain a solid overview of the CloudKit convenience APIs.
- Chapter 16, Intermediate CloudKit: You’ll take a deeper dive into CloudKit, learn about the lower-level APIs that allow fine-grained control of your data as well as some of the limitations of the API and how best to work around them.
- Chapter 17, Beginning Scene Kit: Scene Kit has been available on OS X since 2012, but it’s now debuted in iOS 8 as well. Take advantage of this battle- tested framework to add 3D visualizations to your UIKit based apps.
- Chapter 18, Intermediate Scene Kit: You’ll learn how to introduce physics to your 3D visualizations, how to import 3D models and take advantage of the amazing Scene Kit support in Xcode 6.
- Chapter 19, Beginning Photos: The Assets framework has often been the Achilles’ heel of developers when working with photos on iOS. Apple has changed all of this by introducing a brand spanking new and modern framework, which aims to remove all the pain points of working with Assets. You’ll learn the basics of it in this chapter.
- Chapter 20, Intermediate Photos: Here you’ll take a closer look the new Photos framework, explore all four corners of the API, and learn about such things as asset caching and change requests.
- Chapter 21, Beginning Live Rendering: Interface Builder now renders custom views and controls just as if they were Apple’s own – finally! You’ll learn how to set up Live Rendering, how to expose your custom controls’ properties and then delve into creating custom controls using CALayer.
- Chapter 22, Intermediate Live Rendering: You’ll learn how to mix your custom views and controls with Apple’s stock controls for the purposes of Live Rendering, and you’ll see how Live Rendering can seriously speed up the development process.
- Chapter 23, Handoff: You’ll discover what Handoff is, see how it works, gain a solid overview of the API, and learn how to add this near-magical functionality to your iOS apps.
- Chapter 24, Beginning WebKit: Apple has finally replaced UIWebView! You’ll get to experience the long-awaited and modern WebKit as you create a bespoke web browser.
Section IV: Bonus Chapters
In this section, you’ll learn about further additions to your iOS developer tool belt.
You’ll implement some real-time blurring, take in-depth look at all things Xcode 6, before rounding out the section with an overview of the new and shiny bits Apple added to the testing framework introduced in iOS 7.
- Chapter 26, iOS 8 Visual Effects: You’ll learn how to efficiently add static blurs to your app, then take advantage of the brand new UIVisualEffectView to add real-time blurring and vibrancy to your app as well.
- Chapter 27, An In-depth Look at Xcode 6: You’ll get up-to-speed on the most important updates in the latest revision of Apple’s development suite. There’s an absolute ton of changes, including a whole new programming language!
- Chapter 28, Xcode 6 & Swift: You’ll discover how Swift integrates with Xcode, what Playgrounds are and how they should be used, and you’ll be introduced to the Swift REPL, which among other things, lets you run Swift from the command line.
- Chapter 29, What’s New with Testing: You’ll learn all about the updates to XCTest, Apple’s testing framework, including asynchronous testing and performance testing.
- Chapter 30, What’s New with iTunes Connect: Learn about some exciting new features in iTunes Connect, such as adding videos to your App Store pages, TestFlight beta testing, and more.
Order iOS 8 by Tutorials today!
File formats and delivery
The source code for each book comes as Xcode projects and the books come in PDF format. You can download each book on your My Loot page immediately after purchasing.
What’s your refund policy?
We have a 30 day return period where you can request a refund if you are unsatisfied with the book. We do not offer price adjustments/partial refunds for purchased items that go on sale after you complete your purchase.
If you have any further questions that the above description hasn’t covered, feel free to ask a question in the forums and we’ll get to you as soon as possible!
What Are You Waiting For?
It’s critical as an iOS developer that you keep your skills up to date, and iOS 8 is one of the most ground-breaking releases yet. It’s critical that you update your apps, or you’ll be left behind!
Rather than banging your head against the wall trying to learn these topics by scouring through boring API references, learn iOS 8 the easy way via tutorials, in the style you know and love from this site!
So get your head out of the Cloud, Adapt your schedule to make some time to learning, and Extend your fingers to the keyboard to order iOS 8 by Tutorials today! :]
You might also like our other products:
Intermediate Swift Bundle
Two books to help you get up-to-speed with the latest developments in iOS 10 and watchOS 3!
$109.98 $99.99 LEARN MORE
Mega Swift Bundle
The ultimate iOS library - 10 books with everything you need to become an iOS 10 and Swift 3 master!
From $399.99 LEARN MORE
Gain full access to our catalog of video tutorials, including new video tutorials each week!
From $14.99/mo LEARN MORE