Core Data by Tutorials
iOS 10 & Swift 3 Edition
Who Is This Book For?
This book is for intermediate iOS developers who already know the basics of iOS and Swift 3 development but want to learn how to use Core Data to save data in their apps.
If you are new to Swift 3, we suggest you read the Swift Apprentice, which takes you on a comprehensive tour through the Swift language, even if you are a complete beginner.
If you are new to iOS, we suggest you read the iOS Apprentice. That will give you a solid foundation of building iOS apps using Swift 3 from the ground up.
This book has ben fully updated for Swift 3, iOS 10, and Xcode 8.
Core Data by Tutorials Third Edition: iOS 10 and Swift 3 Edition
Take control of your data in iOS apps using Core Data, Apple’s powerful object graph and persistence framework.
Here’s a detailed look at each chapter in the book:
- Chapter 1, Your First Core Data App: You’ll click File\New Project and write a Core Data app from scratch! This chapter covers the basics of setting up your data model and then adding and fetching records.
- Chapter 2, NSManagedObject Subclasses: NSManagedObject is the base data storage class of your Core Data object graphs. This chapter will teach you how you customize your own managed object subclasses to store and validate data.
- Chapter 3, The Core Data Stack: Under the hood, Core Data is made up of many parts working together. In this chapter, you’ll learn about how these parts fit together, and move away from the starter Xcode template to build your own customizable system.
- Chapter 4, Intermediate Fetching: Your apps will fetch data all the time, and Core Data offers many options for getting the data to you efficiently. This chapter covers more advanced fetch requests, predicates, sorting and asynchronous fetching.
- Chapter 5, NSFetchedResultsController: Table views are at the core of many iOS apps, and Apple wants to make Core Data play nicely with them! In this chapter, you’ll learn how NSFetchedResultsController can save you time and code when your table views are backed by data from Core Data.
- Chapter 6, Versioning and Migration: As you update and enhance your app, its data model will almost certainly need to change. In this chapter, you’ll learn how to create multiple versions of your data model and then migrate your users forward so they can keep their existing data as they upgrade.
- Chapter 7, Unit Tests: Testing is an important part of the development process, and you shouldn’t leave Core Data out of those tests! In this chapter, you’ll learn how to set up a separate test environment for Core Data and see examples of how to test your models.
- Chapter 8, Measuring and Boosting Performance: No one ever complained that an app was too fast, so it’s important to be vigilant about tracking performance. In this chapter, you’ll learn how to measure your app’s performance with various Xcode tools and then pick up some tips for dealing with slow spots in your code.
- Chapter 9, Multiple Managed Object Contexts: In this final chapter, you’ll expand the usual Core Data stack to include multiple managed object contexts. You’ll learn how this can improve perceived performance and help make your app architecture less monolithic and more compartmentalized.
Order Core Data by Tutorials today!
File formats and delivery
The source code for each book comes as Xcode projects and the books come in PDF format. You can download each book on your My Loot page immediately after purchasing.
If you purchase the print version of the book, we will ship the book out within 3-5 business days once the book has been released. Please then allow time for delivery (time varies widely based on country).
What’s your refund policy?
We have a 30-day 100% satisfaction guarantee for the PDF version. We do not offer refunds for the print version. If you buy the Print + PDF Bundle, then the PDF portion is refundable for half the cost of the bundle.
If you have any further questions that the above description hasn’t covered, feel free to ask a question in the forums and we’ll get to you as soon as possible!
What are you waiting for?
This book is the best way to take your Core Data knowledge from beginning to advanced, fully up-to-date with the latest versions of iOS 10, Xcode 8 and Swift 3.
Rather than bang your head against the wall trying to learn these topics by scouring boring API references, learn Core Data the easy way: via tutorials, in the style you know and love from this site!
Start your journey to becoming a Core Data master by purchasing Core Data by Tutorials today! :]
You might also like our other products:
Advanced Swift Bundle
Two books to help you bring your app development skills to the next level.
From $99.99 LEARN MORE
Mega Swift Bundle
The ultimate iOS library - 10 books with everything you need to become an iOS 10 and Swift 3 master!
From $439.99 LEARN MORE
Gain full access to our catalog of video tutorials, including new video tutorials each week!
$19.99 LEARN MORE