Debugging is a skill that you’ll use on pretty much every project you work on. It’s useful for finding and fixing bugs in your applications, of course, but you can also use the same skills to understand what’s happening “under the hood” of your code.
Today, we are releasing a brand new course: Beginning iOS Debugging. In this short course, you’ll learn basic debugging skills like using breakpoints to step through your code, using debugger commands, and solving layout issues with the debug the view hierarchy tool.
Take a look at what’s inside:
- Introduction Why learn debugging? This introductory video will answer this question and preview the course.
- Breakpoints Pause your app in the middle of execution using breakpoints. Use the breakpoint navigator to view and manage all the breakpoints in your project.
- Controlling Breakpoints Activate and deactivate individual breakpoints, disable all breakpoints in a project, and delete breakpoints in Xcode.
- Inspecting Variables View the values stored in your properties and constants while your app is paused. Use debugger commands to change the state of your app while debugging.
- Challenge: Breakpoints In this challenge, use the skills you’ve learned to find and fix a bug.
- Control Flow Use Xcode to step through execution of your app one line at a time. Learn the different ways to step through your code.
- Call Stack See how the call stack works and how to navigate it during a debug session to view the app state at different points in the stack.
- View Hierarchy Learn some tools for debugging visual issues with your app. Debug a layout issue using Xcode’s debug view hierarchy tool.
- Challenge: Putting it Together In this challenge, use breakpoints and the call stack to find the source of another bug.
- Conclusion Review what you’ve learned in this course and see where to go next.
Where To Go From Here?
Want to check out the course? You can watch the first two videos for free!
The rest of the course is for raywenderlich.com subscribers only. Here’s how you can get access:
- If you are a raywenderlich.com subscriber: The first three videos are ready for you today! The rest of the course will be released over this week. You can check out the course here.
- If you are not a subscriber yet: What are you waiting for? Subscribe now to get access to our new Beginning iOS Debugging course and our entire catalog of over 500 videos.
Stay tuned for more new and updated courses to come. I hope you enjoy the course! :]