Happy Monday – it’s another iOS 12 Launch Party book release!
Today, we’re excited to introduce another of our new books this season: Advanced iOS App Architecture!
Read on to see what’s inside Advanced iOS App Architecture, and how to take advantage of the launch and bundle discounts for this book!
About Advanced iOS App Architecture
Advanced iOS App Architecture thoroughly explains and demonstrates how to apply popular iOS app architectures, one at a time. The authors, René Cacheaux and Josh Berlin, have been speaking on architecture for several years now, and they have put all of their passion and knowledge about good iOS architecture into this book.
Now, more than ever, it’s very important to understand and apply good software architecture practices in your projects as apps are getting more complex and as development teams are pressured to deliver faster results despite constantly changing requirements.
The first half of the book introduces you to different aspects of iOS architecture with theory. We recommend reading these chapters before diving into any of the specific architecture chapters to get a good handle on the concepts involved.
The second half of the book explores multiple iOS app architectures in practice, one per chapter. Each architecture chapter begins with a little history, followed by a detailed theory walkthrough. The remainder of each architecture chapter focuses on applying the theory to iOS app development. Each architecture chapter concludes by covering the pros and cons of that architecture. You can read this section in order — or jump straight to the architecture that interests you. It’s your choice!
What’s Inside Advanced iOS App Architecture
Here’s what’s in the book:
- Welcome: A quick introduction over what you’ll learn in this book, what the goals are of this work and what you’ll need to get started.
- Navigating Architecture Topics: There are a lot of aspects to consider when selecting an architecture for you and your team. This chapter provides a high-level overview of these aspects, such as qualities to look for in an architecture and more.
- Example App: In this book, you’ll use a fully fledged real-world example app, reconfigured each chapter for the specific architectures that this book will cover. The app used through this book is known as Koober, a ride-hailing app with just enough complex features to give you the feel for different architectures.
- Managing Dependencies: We all depend on one thing or another in the real world, and architecting your apps is no different. You’ll learn how objects depend on other objects to avoid having large objects doing a lot of things instead of compartmentalizing to make them more reusable and testable.
- Architecture: MVVM: In this chapter, you’ll be taken through the history of MMVM and its concepts. You’ll then walk through the Koober app and explore how it’s been architected using the MVVM architecture approach.
- Architecture: Redux: In this chapter, you’ll be taken through the history of Redux and its concepts. You’ll then walk through the Koober app and explore how it’s been architected using the Redux architecture approach.
- Architecture: Elements: Elements is an architecture meant to make iOS development fun and flexible. We have defined a set of elements that make up the architecture. The cool thing is that you can choose which pieces to use in your own apps. We have elements for every layer of your app, from networking to the user interface.
- Where to Go From Here?: This chapter wraps up the book with references and parting thoughts.
By the end of this book, you’ll have a good handle on the fine details of leveraging modern, advanced architecture in your iOS apps.
Advanced iOS App Architecture Authors
Our books would never see the light of day, if it weren’t for our amazing team of authors:
Josh Berlin loves building thoughtful user experiences on mobile. He’s currently an iOS engineer at Cruise Automation making apps for self-driving cars. He’s built apps for the iPhone and iPad since 2008. Josh recently finished culinary school in Austin, TX. When he’s not coding, he’s probably cooking or dreaming of food.
René Cacheaux loves to architect and build software. He currently is a Mobile Architect at Atlassian where his mission is to design Atlassian’s mobile platform. He especially loves all things mobile and currently architects for both Android and Apple platforms. René has been engineering iOS apps since 2009 and has experience in mobile client and server engineering, mobile user experience design and product management. In addition to building mobile apps, he loves to travel, snow ski, ocean kayak and root for his alma mater, the Texas Longhorns.
Part of the iOS 12 Launch Bundle
So many of you have asked for a book bundle to go with the iOS 12 update season that we’ve created the iOS 12 Launch Party Bundle!
This three-book bundle contains our newest iOS 12 books:
And to help sweeten the deal, this bundle is on sale for only $99.99 — that’s a savings of 33%! But don’t wait, since this bundle won’t be available forever.
Enter the iOS 12 Launch Party Giveaway
Speaking of sweet deals, be sure to check out the great prizes we’re giving away this year with the iOS 12 Launch Party, including over $9,000 in giveaways!
To be eligible for for this epic iOS 12 giveaway, all you have to do is leave a comment on the original launch post, letting us know which book or course is your favorite on this list — or which upcoming book or course you’re most excited about!
Where to Go From Here?
Advanced iOS App Architecture is available today as an early-access release.
- If you’ve already bought Advanced iOS App Architecture, you can log in to your account and download the digital edition on our store page.
- If you don’t have Advanced iOS App Architecture, you can grab your own very own copy in our online store for the special launch price of just $44.99! But don’t wait, as this discount won’t be available forever.
We hope you enjoy this book, which readers have been asking about for years. We’re happy to finally bring this book to you, and stay tuned for more upcoming book launches this iOS 12 season!