Note from Ray: Happy Wednesday – it’s book release day during the iOS 8 Feast!
The team and I are happy to announce that we have released a brand new second edition of our popular book, iOS Games by Tutorials!
In iOS Games by Tutorials, you learn how to make 2D games for iOS using Apple’s game framework, Sprite Kit.
This new second edition is fully updated for Swift and iOS 8. In addition, there are a few extra cool goodies inside.
In addition, Matthijs Hollemans has updated part 2 of the iOS Apprentice to iOS 8 and Swift. Keep reading to find out more about each update!
iOS Games by Tutorials Second Edition
In iOS Games by Tutorials Second Edition, we went through each and every chapter of this book and updated all of the games to use Swift (previously Objective-C), to make sure everything works on iOS 8 and the latest version of Xcode, and to use the latest and greatest technologies and API calls where necessary.
This update was a huge amount of work, since we had to update everything to an entirely new language. But even though it took such a large effort on our part, we are releasing this as a free update to our PDF customers!
This is our way of saying thanks for purchasing the PDF. You are what makes all of the tutorials, books, and starter kits we make on raywenderlich.com possible.
Want more details on what’s changed in the second edition? Here’s the full list:
- Updated all chapters and sample projects to Swift.
- Wrote a new version of our Sprite Kit utility library (SKTUtils) for Swift. Takes advantage of new Swift capabilities such as operator overloading, for even more readable games.
- Updated all games to work on both iPhone and iPad (previously only iPhone), including the new iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus.
- Updated all chapters to be compatible with iOS 8, including using new APIs where possible and adding notes about relevant updates for iOS 8.
- Updated all chapters to be compatible with the latest version of Xcode (6.0.1 at the time of this update).
- Added additional clarifications and useful notes to many chapters.
- Removed the “AirPlay” chapter. Instead, we added two new chapters: “OS X” and “More OS X”, to cover how to port your Sprite Kit games to OS X. Note that these chapters are not yet released since Yosemite is still in beta; we will release a free update at some point after Yosemite is out of beta.
The iOS Apprentice Third Edition Part 2: Checklists
As you may know, Matthijs Hollemans has been updating his popular iOS Apprentice series to iOS 8 and Swift as well.
Today, we are happy to announce that the update to Part 2 is now available!
Again, this is a free update to existing PDF customers. If you bought the iOS Apprentice when it first came out, you have seen it update from iOS 5 -> 6 -> 7 -> 8, and even an entirely new language!
Pretty good value for the money, eh? :]
How To Get Your Copy
If you are an existing PDF customer for iOS Games by Tutorials or the iOS Apprentices, you can download it now on your My Loot page.
Otherwise, you can pick up a copy here:
We hope you enjoy these massive free updates; again it’s our way of saying thank you for supporting everything we do on this site.
And by the way, don’t forget to sign up for RWDevCon, and grab your early bird discount while you still can. See you there!