Update 6/29/14: Thank you so much for the overwhelming response! Due to the amazing quality level of applicants, it was a very tough decision, but we have selected some of the applicants for tryouts and are no longer accepting any more applications at this time. If you didn’t get a spot, don’t worry – we will be having more opportunities to become part of the team soon, and we’d love to hear from you again then!
This site is a joint effort by a team of over a hundred developers and authors from across the world. We have an editing team, a tutorial team, a forum subject matter expert team, and more.
Well, today I’m very happy to announce that we’re starting a brand new team at raywenderlich.com: the Update Team!
We are starting a massive new project called the “Great Blog Update” to modernize our most popular tutorials to the latest iOS 8 APIs, and more importantly – to update them to Swift! :]
This is where you come in! We are currently looking for applicants to join this brand new team. Keep reading to find out why you might want to join, and what’s involved!
There are many great reasons to join the raywenderlich.com Update Team:
- It’s a learning experience. By following along with a tutorial and updating it, you’ll be learning the concepts as you go. It’s also a great way to get up to speed on Swift while getting paid!
- Great foot in the door. We don’t recruit that often for the team; we only have call for applicants like this a couple times a year. This is a great way to get your foot in the door; if you do a good job it will be easy to transition to a tutorial team, editing team, or other position.
- Become part of the community. You’ll be joining our community of writers and editors. Team members get access to opportunities not available to anyone else, such as joining our private IRC channel, contributing to our books and products, writing starter kits, working on team projects, and much more.
- Personal Exposure. This site gets a lot of traffic which means your updates will be read, commented on, tweeted out, and generate feedback. You can be sure that a lot of people will notice and enjoy your hard work!
- Ease into writing. The Update Team is a great way to be part of the site without the more substantial commitment of joining the Tutorial Team. Updating an existing tutorial is easier than coming up with a new one from scratch, and is a much lighter time commitment too.
- Money! The first tutorial you update is not paid, but after that you will be paid for each update. You can expect to update at least one tutorial every two months – more if your schedule permits!
- Free Stuff! And as a final bonus, by joining the Update Team you will get a lot of free stuff! You’ll get a free copy of all of the products we sell on the site – over $500 in value total!
This is an informal, part-time position – you’d be updating about 1-2 tutorials per month. We do expect that when you are assigned a tutorial, that you complete the update within 1 week.
How to Apply
We’re looking for experienced iOS developers with good writing skills. You should be a quick learner, able to read code, and have some Swift experience already.
If you meet the above requirements and want to apply to join the team, please send me a direct email with the following information:
- Introduce yourself and describe your iOS experience.
- What is the best app you’ve made or worked on, and why are you proud of the work you did on this app? (Please include an App Store link)
- What is your favorite Swift language feature?
- Why are you interested in joining the raywenderlich.com Update Team?
For the applicants that look most promising, we will send you an invite to an official tryout process where you will perform a short mock tutorial update. Those that pass the tryout will become full members of the team!
Thanks for considering applying to join the raywenderlich.com Update Team, and we are looking forward to working with you! :]