Good news – we’ve updated all of our Swift tutorials and other posts to Xcode6-beta5!
Here’s what’s we updated:
- Beginning Swift tutorial series updated
- Swift Cheat Sheet and Quick Reference updated (v 0.5)
- Swift Language FAQ updated
- Swift Language Hightlights updated
- Swift Style Guide updated
- Candy Crush tutorial series updated
- Swift Ninja programming challenge updated
- Swift video tutorial series updated
The rest of the Swift tutorials have been confirmed to work on Xcode6-beta5 with no changes required.
For the most part, updating everything was pretty straightforward – mostly related to the following changes:
- No longer being able to use optionals in boolean statements (i.e. must compare to nil explicitly)
- No longer being able to use += to append an item to an array
- Sometimes having to put
overridein front of initializers, or
- Casting to
NSStringrather than using
- Some type/protocol name changes
Where To Go From Here?
We’ll do our best to continue to keep things up-to-date until things finally settle down with the GM release.
It’s definitely been a challenge dealing with all these changes – especially with our upcoming books. :]
We’re just doing our best to try to keep everything up-to-date and functional for you guys, we hope it helps!
If you notice any issues we missed, please let us know so we can keep everything functional. Thanks!