Great news everyone: The second early access release of our Server Side Swift with Vapor book is now available!
If you’re a beginner to web development, but have worked with Swift for some time, you’ll find it’s easy to create robust, fully featured web apps and web APIs with Vapor 3, and this book will teach you how to do it.
This release adds seven chapters:
- Chapter 11: Testing: In this chapter, you’ll learn how to write tests for your Vapor applications. You’ll learn why testing is important and how it works with Swift Package Manager. Then, you’ll learn how to write tests for the TIL application from the previous chapters. Finally, you’ll see why testing matters on Linux and how to test your code on Linux using Docker.
- Chapter 12: Creating a Simple iPhone App I: In the previous chapters, you created an API and interacted with it using RESTed. However, users expect something a bit nicer to use TIL! The next two chapters show you how to build a simple iOS app that interacts with the API. In this chapter, you’ll learn how to create different models and get models from the database.
- Chapter 13: Creating a Simple iPhone App II: In this chapter, you’ll expand the app to include viewing details about a single acronym. You’ll also learn how to perform the final CRUD operations: edit and delete. Finally, you’ll learn how to add acronyms to categories.
- Chapter 14: Templating with Leaf: In a previous section of the book, you learned how to create an API using Vapor and Fluent. This section explains how to use Leaf to create dynamic websites in Vapor applications. Just like the previous section, you’ll deploy the website to Vapor Cloud.
- Chapter 15: Beautifying Pages: In this chapter, you’ll learn how to use the Bootstrap framework to add styling to your pages. You’ll also learn how to embed templates so you only have to make changes in one place. Next, you’ll also see how to serve files with Vapor. Finally, like every chapter in this section, you’ll deploy the new website to Vapor Cloud.
- Chapter 16: Making a Simple Web App I: In the previous chapters, you learned how to display data in a website and how to make the pages look nice with Bootstrap. In this chapter, you’ll learn how to create different models and how to edit acronyms.
- Chapter 17: Making a Simple Web App II: In this chapter, you’ll learn how to allow users to add categories to acronyms in a user-friendly way. Finally, you’ll deploy your completed web application to Vapor Cloud.
Chapters to come will show you how to deal with authentication, migrations, caching, deployment and more.
This is the second early access release for the book — keep an eye on the site for another early access release soon!
Where to Go From Here?
Here’s how you can get your early access copy of Server Side Swift with Vapor:
- If you’ve pre-ordered Server Side Swift with Vapor, you can log in to the store and download the early access edition of Server Side Swift with Vapor here.
If you haven’t yet pre-ordered Server Side Swift with Vapor, you can get it at the limited-time, early access sale price of $44.99.
When you order the book, you’ll get exclusive access to the upcoming early access releases of the book so you can get a jumpstart on learning all the new features of Vapor. The full edition of the book should be released late Spring 2018.
Not sure if this book is for you? Whether you’re looking to create a backend for your iOS app or want to create fully featured web apps, Vapor is the perfect platform for you.
This book starts with the basics of web development and introduces the basics of Vapor; it then walks you through creating APIs and web backends; it shows you how to create and configure databases; it explains deploying to Heroku, AWS, or Docker; it helps you test your creations and more!
Questions about the book? Ask them in the comments below!