Do you enjoy learning new things and sharing your knowledge with the community?
If so, we have a cool opportunity for you! We are currently looking for some advanced developers to regularly make iOS & Android screencasts for our site.
It’s pretty simple. Once a month, you’re assigned to make 1-3 screencasts for our site. You get to choose your own topics – as long as they’re advanced, and interesting to a wide audience.
This is a paid part-time contracting gig that you can do in nights/weekends.
Keep reading to find out more about what’s involved, and how to apply!
Top 5 Reasons to be a Screencaster
I’ve made a bunch of screencasts in the past year, and I can personally say they’re a ton of fun to make. Here’s my top 5 reasons to be a raywenderlich.com Screencaster:
- They make a difference: It’s nice to see that the screencasts you make can make a difference. For example, a lot of people told me that the Vapor screencasts I worked on really helped them get over the hump of learning Server Side Swift, something they had struggled with before.
- They’re a great learning experience: Even when I feel I really know a subject, I always learn a ton by making the screencasts. You’ll also become a better presenter and public speaker – even if you’ve never made screencasts before, we’ll teach you everything you need to know to make screencasts in our high quality style.
- They get your “face” out there: It’s fun to write written tutorials, but they don’t give you that same face-to-face connection with the audience that videos do. Our large audience will get to know you as a subject matter expert on a more personal basis – and may even ask you for selfies at conferences! :]
- You can do it in your spare time: Making 1-3 screencasts is roughly equivalent in workload to creating 1 tutorial/month, which anyone can make time for no matter how busy they are.
- It’s paid! We buy you the equipment you’ll need to get started, and pay for screencasts on a per-video basis. Plus as a team member, you’ll get free access to everything we make on our site, and access to special team-only opportunities and benefits.
Although this gig is a lot of fun, it’s not for everyone. There are two big requirements for this role:
- You must be an advanced developer: If you are not an advanced developer on the cutting edge of iOS/Android, this is not the role for you.
- You must be able to choose your own topics: If you have trouble thinking up topics to make screencasts about, this is not the role for you.
Note that it is not necessary to be a good speaker, or to enjoy being in front of the camera. If you don’t like doing this, we have an option for you to make the written materials for the screencasts (sample projects & scripts), but leave the recordings to someone else.
Where To Go From Here?
If you’re interested in being a screencaster for our site, please send me an email with answers to following questions:
- Please describe yourself and your iOS/Android experience. Please link to any relevant apps or projects.
- Please describe 3-5 topics you’d like to make screencasts on.
- Can you commit to making time in your schedule to make 1-3 screencasts/month for the next year?
- Would you prefer just making screencast materials, or also do the recordings?
- If you want to do the recordings, do you have any speaking experience? Please link to any videos of you speaking if available.
- Have you watched any raywenderlich.com screencasts? If so, which ones?
Thanks so much – and stay tuned for some new screencasts made by our new team of screencasters! :]