In this 20-video course, you’ll get up and running with Core Data: an object persisting framework used in iOS. It’s not just a powerful way to save data, but a powerful framework used to build your apps. This course is fully updated for Swift 4 and iOS 11!
Let’s have a look at what’s inside.
In this first part, you’ll get started with Core Data. Learn how to build managed objects, add attributes to them, and how to filter and sort those objects.
This section contains 10 videos:
- Introduction: What is Core Data? What does it bring to the table? This introduction will give you an overview of this powerful framework.
- Getting Started: Core Data is composed of a variety of components. In this tutorial, you’ll learn about the various pieces that make up Core Data.
- Managed Objects: Managed objects are what you use to construct your Core Data objects. In this video, you’ll get started by making one.
- Challenge: Adding Another Attribute: With our entity in place, it’s time to add some additional attributes to it. Your challenge is to do this.
- Attribute Types: As you start to build your objects, you’ll need to both get them and then to sort them. This video will walk you through the process.
- Binary Data: Core Data allows you to save binary data to your data store. This video shows you how to work with binary data.
- Filtering: With a few lines of code, you can easily filter your Core Data objects. This video walks you through the process.
- Sorting: In this video, you’ll learn how to sort your objects by the way of sort descriptors.
- Challenge: Fixing Sorting Issues: While we implemented filtering and sorting, unfortunately, things aren’t working as expected. Your challenge is to fix it.
- Conclusion: This video concludes the first section but gives an overview of what will be covered in the next one.
In part 2, you’ll learn how to respond to changes in your data. You’ll also build on your Core Data model by adding another entity and introducing relationships.
This section contains 10 videos:
- Introduction: This video provides an overview of what will be covered in the section section.
- Fetched Results Controller By combining a fetch request with a controller, you get a lot of power in an easy to use object.
- Displaying Data by Section: This video covers the process of ordering your objects by section.
- Challenge: Adding More Entities: In your first challenge of the section, you’ll add another entity.
- Relationships: This video explores relationships that you can establish between objects.
- Relationships in Code Once you define a relationship in your model, you’ll need to access it in code. This video will show you how.
- Delete Rules: This video covers the various deletion rules that you can use.
- Challenge: Delete Pets: In your final challenge, you’ll write the code to delete the pet objects.
- Fetched Results Controller Delegate The fetched results controller can inform you when your data changes. In this video, you’ll learn how to respond to such changes.
- Conclusion: This video concludes the course, but suggests alternatives to using Core Data.
Where To Go From Here?
The rest of the course is for raywenderlich.com subscribers only. Here’s how you can get access:
- If you are a raywenderlich.com subscriber: The entire course is complete and available today. You can check out the course here.
- If you are not a subscriber yet: What are you waiting for? Subscribe now to get access to our updated Beginning Core Data course and our entire catalog of over 500 videos.
Stay tuned for more new and updated iOS 11 courses to come. I hope you enjoy the course! :]