This week begins our annual tutorial conference, RWDevCon 2017 – sold out for the third year straight.
If you weren’t able to get a ticket, I have some good news. You can attend virtually thanks to the RWDevCon 2017 Vault, and preorders are open today – with a 50% off pre-order discount!
The purpose of the RWDevCon 2017 Vault is to let you experience the amazing tutorials and workshops that make up RWDevCon, even if you aren’t able to make it in person. This year, we have two separate options for pre-order:
- The RWDevCon 2017 Tutorial Series: Contains the 400+ page conference book PDF, a 500+ MB zip of all conference materials, and videos for all 24 tutorials at the conference.
- The RWDevCon 2017 Workshop Series: Contains all materials and videos for the two day-long pre-conference workshops, on Advanced Debugging & Reverse Engineering and App Architecture.
Can’t decide between the two? Good news – you can get the bundle and save!
- RWDevCon 2017 Vault Bundle: Contains all of the above – at a discount.
Read on to learn more about the RWDevCon 2017 Vault, when it will be available, and how you can take advantage of the pre-order discount!
What’s in the RWDevCon 2017 Vault?
RWDevCon 2017 Vault – Workshops
Experience our exclusive, in-depth Advanced Workshops from our annual conference, RWDevCon, in video format:
- Advanced App Architecture: Thoughtful design of the boundaries between your apps subsystems is the foundation of a stable codebase. In this workshop, you’ll learn how to create a well designed boundary between subsystems, dependency injection, use case driven development, creating injectable subsystems, and using state management to result in a clean architecture for your apps.
- Advanced Debugging & Reverse Engineering: Learn to wield the power of LLDB and other debugging tools and dig deep into code. Create powerful, custom debugging scripts to quickly hunt down any item that piques your interest. Not only will you learn to find bugs faster, but you’ll also learn how other developers have solved problems similar to yours. At the end of this workshop, you’ll have the tools and knowledge to answer even the most obscure question about your code — or someone else’s.
Learn at your own pace with the complete video coverage of both workshops. Work along with the instructor and learn as you go, with the complete project code and included workbook.
What’s Included in the RWDevCon 2017 Workshop Vault?
- Full access to workshop videos: Get access to both full videos of Workshop One, Advanced App Architecture, and Workshop Two, Advanced Apple Debugging & Reverse Engineering.
- Entire collection of sample projects: You’ll get the complete package of sample project code from all the workshops — and you’re free to reuse all code in your own apps.
- Complete workshop workbook: A perfect companion to the workshop videos, the workbook helps you stay on track with important details about each of the workshops.
RWDevcon 2017 Vault – Tutorials
Experience all 24 tutorial sessions from the conference in video form, including tutorials:
- Advanced Core Data: Core Data has many advanced features which can make development of complex apps easier while increasing performance. You’ll learn how to take advantage of some of the advanced features of Core Data such as background fetching and child contexts.
- Advanced Auto Layout: Learn how you can use some of Auto Layout’s more advanced features to your advantage while designing complex, dynamic views.
- Machine Learning on iOS: Machine Learning. Convolutional Neural Networks. Deep Learning Neural Networks. What is all the hype about? What are these technologies, what are they good for, and can we use them for anything useful right now? This session requires no background in any of these areas, and will introduce you to machine learning on iOS with a worked example.
- iOS Concurrency: Learn how to add concurrency to your apps with GCD & Operations. Keep your app’s UI responsive to give your users a great user experience, and learn how to avoid common concurrency problems, like race condition and deadlock.
- Reconstructing Popular iOS Animations: In this session, you’ll examine two high profile apps with gorgeous fluid, tactile interfaces and reconstruct them yourself.
- Mastering Git: In this session you’ll learn some of Git’s more advanced topics, such as rebasing, hooks and history mutation. You’ll also gain a better understanding of how Git works under the covers and gain some experience with realistic day-to-day scenarios.
- Building Reusable Frameworks: Using shared code from the community has become a major benefit for developers. Why not pay it back and share the awesome things you’ve written with the world? In this session, you’ll learn how to create a framework from your code that’s compatible with all three of the main dependency manager players: Cocoapods, Carthage, and the Swift Package Manager.
- Swift Memory Management: While the design of Swift and the compiler relieve you from much of the drudgery associated with reference counting, it’s critical that you understand what the system is doing for you, so that you can create higher performance, bug free apps. Learn how to think about objects and closures and how to use the latest Xcode tools to analyze and debug your code.
- Cross-Platform React Native: React Native is a framework for building native apps with React. It’s been used by many developers who are drawn to it’s learn once, write anywhere paradigm and fast development cycle. In this session you’ll learn how to create a cross-platform (iOS and Android) app, learning how to create an app from scratch and how to integrate React Native into an existing native app.
- Fastlane: Fastlane is a suite of tools to help automate building and release iOS (and Android!) apps. From creating screenshots to handling provisioning to submitting your application, Fastlane can help with it all. In this session, you’ll learn how to use these tools to help automate the mundane tasks you dread doing in iTunes Connect.
- RxSwift in Practice: RxSwift, and its companion framework RxCocoa, allow you to create reactive apps for iOS and macOS. Your first look at Rx code might be intimidating without a proper introduction, but in this session you will start in Playgrounds, learn the core concepts, and then move on to building a real iOS application in Xcode. Just beware – you might like programming with RxSwift too much!
- How to Make a Platformer Game in Unity: Unity is used by thousands of indie development studios, hobbyist game developers, and even AAA game studios. In this session you’ll power through creating a platformer game like Super Meat Boy, and learn firsthand how easy it is to be productive with this powerful and versatile multi-platform game engine.
- iMessage Apps: The Messages framework in iOS 10 allows developers to extend their apps to iMessages to further their app’s reach. In this session, you’ll learn how to extend an existing app by adding a Messages extension.
- Practical Unit Testing I: Unit tests allow you to develop without fear and ship with confidence. They can even serve as documentation for your code and make everything easier to understand. But you already know this, don’t you? In this session you will explore ways to add at least one more unit test to your app.
- Server Side Swift with Perfect: Perfect is an open source server side Swift framework that allows you to create web apps, or web APIs, purely in Swift. In this session, you’ll learn how to create your first web app in Swift from scratch, including templating, persistence, and authentication.
- Swift Playgrounds in Depth: Swift playgrounds have come a long way since their initial release in 2014 alongside the Swift language. This session covers a broad range of topics, a few of which are interactive playgrounds, how to use external frameworks, prototyping animations and much more. Along the way you’ll also learn a few practical tips and tricks to take your playground-fu to the next level.
- Practical Unit Testing II: Continuous Integration (CI) is the art of automatically translating your code into a build that can be easily accessed by project stakeholders. In the first half of this session, you’ll work through different aspects of CI setup design, followed by a review of fundamentals that can be applied to any CI solution. In the second half, you’ll look at a demo CI setup for the project created in Practical Unit Testing I.
- Cocoa Bindings: In this session, you’ll cover the basic of bindings, how to set them up in Interface Builder, some common debugging pitfalls, and some binding related tools, such as value transformers and number formatters.
- Engaging On-Boarding: Users abandon apps when they can’t figure out how to use it fast enough. To lower the abandonment rate for your app, create an on-boarding experience that keeps the user engaged, informed and delighted the first time they open your app. In this session, you’ll look at the pros and cons on on-boarding, when to use it, and best practices. Finally, you will brainstorm and implement your own on-boarding experience!
- Advanced iOS Design Patterns: In this talk, you’ll learn some design patterns for solving common iOS development problems, including: authentication and auto re-login; networking and domain model management; and data persistence and cache management.
- Android for iOS Developers: It seems almost everything is cross-platform these days. Learn how to make a simple, professional Android app using Material Design, Realm, and Retrofit 2.
- Accessibility & Internationalization: Does your app speak Swahili? Or cater to the color blind? No? Then this session’s for you! Learn how to reach exciting new audiences by taking full advantage of the fantastic Internationalisation and Accessibility support provided by Apple’s iOS frameworks.
- Swift Error Handling: The best apps delight their users by remaining responsive and stable in the face of errors. In this session, you’ll learn how to write code that responds to and recovers from errors, and even anticipates them.
- Game AI with GameplayKit: GameplayKit is an independent Apple framework that game developers may use to help them create better games, with less effort. In this session, you’ll learn how to use GameplayKit to add artificial intelligence (AI) to your games.
Learn at your own pace with the complete video coverage of all tutorial sessions. Work along with the instructor and learn as you go, with the complete project code and included workbook.
What’s Included in the RWDevCon 2017 Tutorial Vault?
- 24+ hours of hands-on tutorial videos: Full access to the full videos of the tutorial sessions that cover RxSwift, Auto Layout, React Native, Unity, Fastlane, Android, Git, design patterns, unit testing, concurrency, building reusable frameworks — and much, much more!
- 500+ MB of sample projects: You’ll get the complete package of sample project code from all the tutorial sessions — and you’re free to reuse all code in your own apps.
- 500+ page conference workbook: Stay on track with detailed, step-by-step instructions for each tutorial session — a perfect companion for following along with the session videos.
When Will the RWDevCon 2017 Vault Be Released?
RWDevCon 2017 runs from March 31 to April 1, 2017. We’ll be videotaping the workshops and tutorials, and it should take a few weeks to get everything edited and pulled together for your viewing pleasure. Stay tuned for an announcement in the coming weeks.
Where to Go From Here?
Pre-orders for the RWDevCon 2017 Vault are open, at an incredible discount:
- RWDevCon 2017 Vault – Workshops:
$149.99now only $74.99 — that’s a 50% discount! Get it here.
- RWDevCon 2017 Vault – Tutorials:
$149.99now only $74.99 — that’s a 50% discount! Get it here.
Pre-order the Workshop Series and the Tutorial Series, and you’ll save even more:
All RWDevCon 2017 attendees get free access to the Vault as part of their conference package. But if you weren’t lucky enough to snag a ticket, you can still get the RWDevCon 2017 experience, in the comfort of your home or office. But remember — this discount won’t last for long.
We’re excited about RWDevCon 2017 — and if we don’t see you there, we hope you’ll join us in spirit through the RWDevCon 2017 Vault!