But don’t worry Sprite Kit, Scene Kit, and Metal fans: we also updated some Apple Game Frameworks tutorials too. =]
Today we’re happy to announce that we’ve updated 8 Apple Game Framework tutorials to Swift 3, and more are on the way! And even better — these updates are free and available today.
Here are the 8 tutorials we’ve updated:
Apple Game Frameworks Tutorials Updated For Swift 3
- How to Make a Game Like Candy Crush with SpriteKit and Swift: In this four-part “How to” tutorial with SpriteKit and Swift series, you’ll learn how to make a game like Candy Crush named Cookie Crunch Adventure. Yum, that sounds even better than candy!
- What’s New In SpriteKit on iOS 10: A Look At Tile Maps: In this tutorial, you’ll learn all about tiles – how to import them and paint them in the new Tile Editor. In the new game Rubber Duckie Rescue that’s sure to be a smash-hit, you’ll rescue some rubber duckies along the way.
- How To Create a Breakout Game with Sprite Kit and Swift: In this two-part tutorial series, you’re going to learn how to create a Breakout game using Sprite Kit, complete with collision detection, ball bouncing using physics effects, dragging the paddle via touches, and game states.
- How To Make a Game Like Space Invaders with Sprite Kit and Swift Tutorial: In this tutorial, you’ll build an iOS version of Space Invaders, using Swift and Sprite Kit, Apple’s 2D game framework.
- Card Game Mechanics in Sprite Kit with Swift: In this tutorial, you’ll use Sprite Kit to manipulate images that serve as cards in a CCG app. You’ll move cards on the screen, animate them to show which cards are active, flip them over and enlarge them so you can read the text — or just admire the artwork.
- How to Make a Game Like Monster Island Tutorial: In this tutorial, you’ll level up your knowledge of the SpriteKit physics system by creating a game named ZombieCat.
- Sprite Kit and Inverse Kinematics with Swift: In this tutorial, you’ll learn how to use Sprite Kit’s inverse kinematics feature to implement dynamic punches and kicks in a fun and simple ninja game. :]
- iOS Metal Tutorial with Swift Part 5: Switching to MetalKit: In this tutorial, you’ll learn how to update your Metal app to take advantage of the MetalKit framework.
Where to Go From Here?
This is only the beginning. We’ll be releasing a new or updated Apple Game Framework tutorial each and every month: fully compatible with Swift 3!
Thanks to all of the authors for updating their tutorials, and thanks to you for reading this site – stay tuned for more new Swift 3 tutorials each and every week.
As always, if there’s something you’d like to see a tutorial for, or if there’s an old favorite tutorial you’d like to see updated, please drop me a note! :]