Happy Wednesday — it’s time for another book launch as part of the iOS 10 Feast!
We’re excited to announce that iOS 10 by Tutorials is now complete and available today!
Don’t own iOS 10 by Tutorials yet? Read on to see how to get your copy!
What’s Inside iOS 10 By Tutorials
This release has all 14 chapters ready and is full of great stuff showcasing the new elements of iOS 10:
- Chapter 1: What’s new in Swift 3 (NEW!): Swift 3 represents the biggest change to the language since it was first introduced. Read this chapter for a quick overview of what’s new!
// Swift 2 definition prepareForSegue(segue: UIStoryboardSegue, sender: AnyObject?) // Swift 2 calling code viewController.prepareForSegue(segue, sender: something) // Swift 3 definition prepare(for segue: UIStoryboardSegue, sender: Any?) // Swift 3 calling code viewController.prepare(for: segue, sender: something)
- Chapter 2: Xcode 8 Debugging Improvements: Learn about the powerful new debugging tools in Xcode 8, including the new Thread Sanitizer and Memory Graph Debugger.
- Chapter 3: Xcode 8 Source Editor Extensions: Learn how to integrate your own text tools into the Xcode UI by creating a fun ASCII art extension.
- Chapter 4: Beginning Message Apps: Learn how to create your own sticker pack for Messages – with a custom user interface.
- Chapter 5: Intermediate Message Apps: Learn how to send custom, updatable messages, by creating a simple picture drawing and guessing game integrated into Messages.
- Chapter 6: SiriKit: Learn how to integrate Siri into your app and process voice commands as you build a Uber clone for hot air balloons.
- Chapter 7, Speech Recognition: Learn how to transcribe live or pre-recorded audio from over 50 languages and use that data in your app:
- Chapter 8: User Notifications: Learn how to use the new iOS 10 User Notifications framework, and create Notification Content extensions and Notification Service app extensions.
- Chapter 9: UIView Property Animator: Learn about a new way of animating in iOS 10, which allows you to easily pause, reverse, and scrub through animations part-way through.
- Chapter 10: Measurements and Units: Learn about some new Foundation classes that help you work with measurements and units in an easy and type-safe way.
let cycleRide = Measurement(value: 25, unit: UnitLength.kilometers) let swim = Measurement(value: 3, unit: UnitLength.nauticalMiles) let marathon = Measurement(value: 26, unit: UnitLength.miles) + Measurement(value: 385, unit: UnitLength.yards)
- Chapter 11: What’s New with Core Data: Learn how the new convenience methods, classes, code generation and other new features in Core Data will make your life easier.
- Chapter 12: What’s new with Photography (NEW!): Learn how to capture and edit live photos, and make use of other photography advancements.
- Chapter 13: What’s New with Search: Learn how to tie your app into the Core Search Spotlight API and perform deep searches using your app, and how to surface your app to respond to location-based searches as well.
- Chapter 14: Other iOS Topics (NEW!): Make your apps more responsive with prefetching, make custom interactions with 3D touch, and add haptic feedback to your apps.
About the Authors
Of course, our book would be nothing without our team of experienced authors:
Sam Davies is a strange mashup of developer, writer and trainer. By day you’ll find him recording videos for Razeware, writing tutorials, attending conferences and generally being a good guy. By night he’s likely to be out entertaining people, armed with his trombone and killer dance moves. He’d like it very much if you were to follow him on twitter at @iwantmyrealname.
Jeff Rames is an iOS developer at AirStrip Technologies, building software that helps save lives. Originally a mainframer, he found his passion in iOS development shortly after the SDK was released and has been doing it ever since. When not working, he’s spending time with his wife and daughters, watching rocket launches, or cooking with his pizza oven. Say hi to Jeff on Twitter at @jefframes.
Rich Turton is an iOS developer for MartianCraft, prolific Stack Overflow participant and author of a development blog, Command Shift. When he’s not in front of a computer he is usually building Lego horse powered spaceships (don’t ask!) with his daughters.
Where to Go From Here?
iOS 10 by Tutorials is complete and available today. Here’s how you can get your hands on your copy:
- If you’re a raywenderlich.com subscriber, good news — you get free access while you are subscribed! Just visit your My Loot page to download the book immediately.
- If you haven’t subscribed to raywenderlich.com yet, you should subscribe! You will get access to the book, the screencasts, and access to our entire video tutorial library.
- If you just want the book, you can buy the book separately. This includes permanent access to the book, including free updates, but no screencasts or videos.
Thanks again to all raywenderlich.com subscribers — you are what makes this site possible. We hope you enjoy the iOS 10 book and screencasts! :]