We’re excited to announce that Apple Augmented Reality by Tutorials has four new chapters available!
We’ve got more content ready for you to start building realistic, immersive apps with augmented reality! The tutorial-style chapters will give you hands-on experience using Apple AR frameworks and technologies like Reality Composer, RealityKit, and ARKit.
Our previous AR book, ARKit by Tutorials, was a collection of ARKit-specific projects for creating various real-world AR experiences. That book also focused on SceneKit as the primary rendering technology.
Apple Augmented Reality by Tutorials replaces ARKit by Tutorials to teach all the available rendering technologies Apple has to offer. This not only includes the new RealityKit, but also SceneKit and SpriteKit too. The book includes a collection of fresh new projects for creating various real-world AR experiences.
This book is a successor to ARKit by Tutorials, not an update to that book. Apple Augmented Reality by Tutorials provides the readers with a single, unified path to all of Apple’s available AR technologies that includes ARKit, RealityKit and Reality Composer.
This book is currently out in early-access release, and we’ve added four new chapters!
What’s New in This Release?
This third early-access edition of Apple Augmented Reality by Tutorials includes:
- Chapter 1: AR Quick Start : Find out how to set up and use RealityKit to build a face- based augmented reality app.
- Chapter 12: ARKit: Get a complete introduction to ARKit, Apple’s framework for creating fully interactive augmented reality, and learn about the different types of rendering options available with ARKit.
- Chapter 13: ARKit & SpriteKit: Discover how to combine ARKit and SpriteKit to create exciting augmented reality 2D games.
- Chapter 14: Raycasting & Physics: Learn about raycasting, 2D hit-testing and the SpriteKit physics engine as you add more features and functionality to your game.
We’ve got more chapters underway that cover topics such as:
- ARKit & SceneKit: Find out how to use the power of SceneKit and ARKit together to create powerful 3D augmented reality scenes.
- ECS & Collaborative Experiences: Build a collaborative AR experience and learn how to create and manage a multipeer connection.
- Plane Anchors & Focus Nodes: Discover how to detect, manage and use plane anchors and focus nodes. Learn how to enable environmental mapping and add lights and shadows.
- AR Coaching Overlay & Billboards: Learn what it takes to add and use coaching overlays and billboards to your app for the purpose of helping onboard new users.
After reading this book, you’ll have a deep understanding of the technologies and frameworks used to create powerful, immersive AR experiences for the Apple platform.
About the Author
Chris Language is the author of this book. Chris is a seasoned coder with 20+ years of experience, and the author of 3D Apple Games by Tutorials. He has fond memories of his childhood and his Commodore 64; more recently he started adding more good memories of life with all his Apple devices. By day, he fights for survival in the corporate jungle of Johannesburg, South Africa. By night he fights demons, dragons and zombies! For relaxation, he codes. You can find him on Twitter @ChrisLanguage Forever Coder, Artist, Musician, Gamer and Dreamer.
Where to Go From Here?
This book is available as part of our early-access program; when you buy the book now, you’ll receive a free update when the book is available in full! Get it now for just $49.99 — that’s $10 off!
As always, remember to join our newsletter for all the latest announcement on books, free tutorials, screencasts, video courses and more!