Note from Ray: Happy Wednesday – it’s book release day during the iOS 9 Feast!
iOS is growing up fast — gone are the days when every 3rd-party developer knew everything there is to know about the OS.
The sheer size of iOS can make new releases seem daunting. This past year alone, iOS 9 introduced UIStackViews, 3D Touch, iPad multitasking, app search, and more. It’s a lot for a single developer to learn on their own.
That’s why the iOS Tutorial Team has been working ever since WWDC to extract the important parts of the new APIs, and to present this information in an easy-to-understand tutorial format.
So today, we are happy to release the 5th book in our popular iOS by Tutorials series: iOS 9 by Tutorials!
About iOS 9 by Tutorials
iOS 9 by Tutorials is for intermediate developers, who already know the basics of iOS and Swift development but want to learn the new APIs introduced in iOS 9.
10 members of the Tutorial Team on this site have teamed up to divide and conquer all of this new material, distilling it into practical examples and an easy-to-learn form.
This way, rather than banging your head against the wall trying to learn these topics by scouring through boring API references, you can learn iOS 9 the easy way via tutorials, in the style you know and love from this site!
iOS 9 by Tutorials is 15 chapters and 297 pages. Let’s take a quick look at what’s inside.
- Chapter 1, Swift 2.0: Swift is only a year old, but a lot has changed since it was born. Discover the new error handling model, protocol extensions, new control flow features and much more! You’ll be ready to tackle the rest of the book, and to upgrade your existing code to Swift 2.0!
- Chapter 2, Introducing App Search: With iOS 9, users can search inside your apps using the system Spotlight utility. Learn how to adopt this new functionality, and make the content inside your apps more discoverable.
- Chapter 3, Your App on the Web: Deep linking will allow you to direct users browsing your website directly to the correct point inside your iOS app. Find out how to integrate this functionality in your own site and app as you follow along with updating the RWDevCon website and app!
- Chapter 4, App Thinning: App Thinning describes a collection of new App Store technologies that ensure that users downloading your app only download exactly what their specific device requires. Discover what you need to do to adopt App Thinning, together with how you can split your app’s resources up into chunks that are only downloaded from the App Store when they are required.
- Chapter 5, Multitasking: Completely new to iOS 9 is the ability to run two apps side-by-side on iPads. Get up to speed on what you need to do to ensure your apps are ready for multitasking.
- Chapter 6, 3D Touch: The iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus introduced a new technology called 3D Touch. Discover how to detect the force of a touch in iOS 9, and the new interaction paradigms—such as pop and peek—that come along with it.
- Chapter 7, UIStackView & Auto Layout changes: Stack views will change the way you build your interfaces. They remove a lot of the boilerplate Auto Layout and make it really easy to construct simple layouts. Learn the basics of stack views and many of the other new Auto Layout features.
- Chapter 8, Intermediate UIStackView: Dive deeper into stack views — covering nesting, animation and working with them in code.
- Chapter 9, What’s New in Storyboards?: Ever faced the problem of unmanageably large storyboards? Discover how to refactor your huge storyboard into smaller segments with new storyboard references.
- Chapter 10, Custom Segues: Creating custom view controller transitions has never been an easy task, but iOS 9 chips away at some of the complexity. Learn how to create your own custom segues to make custom transitions between view controllers far easier to understand.
- Chapter 11, UIKit Dynamics: iOS 9 includes loads of great improvements to UIKit Dynamics — making it really easy to model complex physics animations within your apps. Learn all about the new behaviors and debugging improvements as you build a real-world example.
- Chapter 12, Contacts: Accessing the on-device contacts has been challenging in the past — with a C-level API. iOS 9 introduces two new frameworks to ease interaction with the contacts. Discover how to integrate with the device address book in a much simpler manner.
- Chapter 13, Testing: Xcode 7 now includes a fully-featured solution for creating UI tests for your application. Discover how to add UI tests to your own apps, and review some of the other improvements to testing.
- Chapter 14, Location & Mapping: It’s finally possible to choose your favorite color for a map pin! Learn about this, transit directions, Core Location enhancements and more!
- Chapter 15, What’s New in Xcode?: There’s loads of cool new stuff in iOS 9, but don’t forget about your friendly IDE! Learn how the improved gauges make optimizing your app really easy, along with many other new features.
Where To Go From Here?
If you have preordered iOS 9 by Tutorials, you can download it now on your My Loot page.
Otherwise, be sure to grab your copy now!
Get ready for your own private tour through the amazing new features of iOS 9. By the time you’re done, your iOS knowledge will be completely up-to-date and you’ll be able to benefit from the amazing new opportunities in iOS 9.
The Tutorial Team and I hope you enjoy iOS 9 by Tutorials, and we hope to see you use some of these amazing new APIs in your own apps!