We’re excited to announce the second edition of SwiftUI by Tutorials!
Read on to learn more about this new version and how you can get your copy!
What’s New in SwiftUI by Tutorials, 2nd Edition?
SwiftUI by Tutorials, 2nd Edition includes the following updates:
- Updated for Xcode 11.5.
- Improved continuity between projects and chapters.
- Addressed SwiftUI bugs in project sample files.
- Substantive re-writing of chapters to bring clarity to tutorials and projects.
What’s in This Edition?
SwiftUI by Tutorials is designed for readers who are comfortable building Swift apps and want to transition to building their app UI with modern, declarative code.
If you’re familiar with the first edition of SwiftUI by Tutorials, you’ll notice a significant rework of what’s inside:
Diving Into SwiftUI
- Introduction: Get an overview of the book as a whole, as well as the apps you will be building as you learn the fundamentals of SwiftUI!
- Integrating SwiftUI: Learn the foundational terminology and discover the power of building your interface directly in the preview canvas. Learn how SwiftUI makes declarative development easy and straightforward.
- Understanding SwiftUI: Get a better understanding of how SwiftUI differs from UIKit. Learn how ViewControllers are being replaced or powerful concepts like @ObjectBinding and @EnvironmentObject.
- Integrating SwiftUI: See how SwiftUI and UIKit/AppKit can be good friends and work together, side-by-side by integrating them in a single app.
- The Apple Ecosystem: See how a SwiftUI iOS app can be easily adapted to other Apple platforms — macOS, watchOS, tvOS — focusing on how to make best use of the device, its unique features and how it handles input.
Building Blocks of SwiftUI
- Intro to Controls – Text & Image: Learn how to add and configure different SwiftUI controls within your apps. Discover modifiers in a practical way and how they can be shared across controls or used individually.
- Controls & User Input: Learn about the most-used controls in user interfaces such as TextFields, Buttons, Toggles, Sliders and Steppers and how to use them with SwiftUI.
- Introducing Stacks & Containers: Learn the powerful capabilities of vertical and horizontal stacks. See how easy it is to apply them to your app layout and to nest them to generate almost any possible combination.
- State & Data Flow: Learn how to bind data to the UI, about reactive updates to the UI through state management, and in-depth usage of the attributes related to SwiftUI.
- Gestures: Learn how to trigger updates on the interface, including how to easily test a SwiftUI interface, how to manage the flow of screens throughout a complex app, and how to deal with gestures, including the development of a custom gesture.
- Lists & Navigation: Learn about navigation and start working with the most powerful user feedback an app can provide: Alerts, Modals and Popovers.
- Conditional Views: Learn when you might need to show (or not) a view depending on certain conditions.
- Drawing & Custom Graphics: Learn how to draw with the use of paths, shapes, and geometry.
- Animations: Learn how to apply animations to view transitions, how to animate state changes, and how to combine and chain those animations.
- Complex Interfaces: Learn how to develop more complex interfaces. Get out of your comfort zone and dive into more advanced concepts that will allow you to generate almost any UI you can imagine.
- Building for Testability: See how to apply UI Testing to your SwiftUI apps with this very simple, yet powerful tool.
By the end of this book, you’ll be building better apps, faster, and with less code.
Where to Go From Here?
Here’s how to get your hands on this new release:
- If you’ve already bought the digital edition of SwiftUI by Tutorials, you can log in to your account and download this update immediately.
- If you haven’t yet bought the digital version of SwiftUI by Tutorials, you can pick up a copy on the raywenderlich.com store page.
The book is currently on sale and will be until Wednesday, June 24.
On behalf of the SwiftUI by Tutorials team, we thank you for your support and we hope you enjoy this update!