Update 4/22/15: This position has been filled. Thank you to everyone who applied! :]
A few days ago, I posted about a new job opportunity on our site as a Lead WordPress Developer.
I know most of you are iOS developers, so wouldn’t be too interested in that. But I think many of you will be interested in this one :]
We are also looking to hire a Senior iOS Instructor, to create high quality video tutorials for our site.
With this position, not only do you get paid to learn – but you get to share your knowledge with others, helping to shape the next generation of mobile developers.
Best yet – our team is distributed, so you can work remotely from the comfort of your own home. Keep reading to learn more about what’s involved!
You would be making high quality video tutorial series on various iOS topics, such as this Collection View Custom Layouts series by Mic Pringle:
Or this Adaptive Layout series by Greg Heo:
Or this OpenGL ES and GLKit series by myself:
As you can see, it takes a combination of many skills to pull off great tutorial videos like these. Here’s what we’re looking for:
- Passion for iOS development. We believe that being passionate about what you’re working on is the key to success.
- 3+ years iOS development experience. You should be familiar with all the major iOS APIs, including UIKit, Core Animation, Core Graphics, Core Data, and more, and should consider yourself an advanced-level developer.
- Swift experience. You should already have been diving into Swift and should have some practical hands-on experience.
- Bonus points if you’re up-to-date with brand new technologies like WatchKit, Swift 1.2, React Native, etc.
- Speaking skills. In order to make video tutorials, you’ll need good speaking skills, and be comfortable in front of a camera. Bonus if you have experience speaking at conferences or are in Toastmasters.
- Presentation skills. You must be able to make high quality slides, including illustrations and animations demonstrating the topic you are covering.
- Writing skills. You will also often need to write challenge documents and written tutorials, so strong writing skills are a must.
- Learning skills. You must be able to learn things that are new to you quickly – gaining not just a surface understanding, but a deep understanding of the topic.
- Teaching skills. You must be able to understand how to take the 80% most important areas of any topic or API, and break it down into easily digestible chunks.
- Sense of humor. Part of your job is to inject some of your own sense of humor into your training, to keep things light-hearted and fun!
- Leadership skills. Since we are a small company of full-time folks working with a large distributed team, we always look for our full-timers to take on leadership roles. We will likely give you a small leadership role soon after you join our team.
- Self-driven work ethic. You need to be a self-starter who loves taking initiative and seeing things through to completion, with loose (at best) direction.
- Detail oriented and highly organized. We are a small company with a lot to do, so you should be able to work on and prioritize multiple tasks at any given time, and stay very organized.
- Great communication skills. We’re a distributed team, so frequent and clear written communication is a must.
- Curiosity and the desire to learn. Our business is changing and growing fast – who knows what will be the skills of tomorrow?
- Bonus points if you like video games, board games, and/or zombies – you’ll fit right in! :]
- Extra bonus points if you’re already a member of the raywenderlich.com team!
Razeware is the company behind this site. We’re passionate about learning new development skills, and teaching others what we’ve learned through high quality, hands-on tutorials.
We are a small company that has been profitable for over 5 years. Currently we have just 6 full-time employees, so you’d be getting in on the ground floor.
We’re also a 100% distributed company: everyone works from their own home or office, whether it be Maryland, Virginia, Connecticut, Canada, or England. We make heavy use of Trello, Slack, Google Hangouts, and email for team communication.
We have a ton of great benefits, such as:
- Remote working!
- Health insurance and 401K match (US only)
- Generous PTO – plus 1-week company-wide Christmas vacation
- Competitive salary
- Free trip to our annual conference – RWDevCon
- Professional development (conferences & training)
- Equipment for your own at-home video recording studio!
Our site is helping millions of developers across the world make apps, further their careers, and fulfill lifelong dreams. If you’re passionate about helping our small but highly motivated team take this to the next level, this is the job for you! :]
How To Apply
To apply, please email a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
We look forward to hearing from you! :]