Update 4/23/15: This position has been filled. Thank you to everyone who applied! :]
As you might know, this site is a community effort of over 100 part-time authors and editors, who team up to write high quality tutorials and books.
But you might not know that we also have 6 full-time employees too. Our job is to keep things running smoothly, and create video tutorials.
Today, we are happy to announce an opportunity for a new full-time position: Lead WordPress Developer at raywenderlich.com!
If you are an advanced WordPress developer or know someone who is, keep reading to find out what’s involved!
We are seeking a highly motivated and talented individual to join our team as our Lead WordPress Developer. This is a key leadership role where you will get the chance to take an already popular site to the next level – with tons of readers thanking you for each improvement you make! :]
Better yet – our team is distributed, so you can work remotely from the comfort of your own home – from anywhere in the world.
The ideal candidate will possess expert level knowledge of WordPress, including advanced theme and custom plugin development in addition to religious devotion to best practices and clean code standards.
Here’s what we’re looking for:
- Passion for WordPress development. We believe that being passionate about what you’re working on is the key to success.
- 2+ years WordPress development experience. You should have experience building custom themes and plugins, and you should have an advanced knowledge of the WordPress API.
- 2+ years working on high traffic sites. As you’ll be working on a popular site with high traffic, you should have experience developing web sites that cater for 3 million+ page view per month, and should be able to diagnose issues relating to high traffic, and tune the site so that it performs well under heavy load.
- Git experience. This is our source control of choice :]
- System administration experience. You should be familiar with command-line Linux system administration (setting up servers from scratch, configuring firewalls, security best practices, etc), and (ideally) experience working with hosting options such as WPEngine or Amazon web services.
- Interest in web design. You should have an interest in modern web design principles – for example, you likely have a personal site that looks great.
- Self-driven work ethic. You need to be a self-starter who loves taking initiative and seeing things through to completion, with loose (at best) direction.
- Detail oriented and highly organized. We are a small company with a lot to do, so you should be able to work on and prioritize multiple tasks at any given time, and stay very organized.
- Leadership skills. We are looking for you to be a leader in this small company, and plan on building a team around you.
- Great communication skills. We’re a distributed team, so frequent and clear written communication is a must.
- Friendly personality. We pride ourselves on being a friendly and open bunch, and this is especially important because you will be frequently interacting with customers and external team members.
- Curiosity and the desire to learn. Our business is changing and growing fast – who knows what will be the skills of tomorrow?
- Bonus items! Bonus if you like Apple products, video games, board games, and/or zombies – you’ll fit right in! :]
Razeware is the company behind this site. We’re passionate about learning new development skills, and teaching others what we’ve learned through high quality, hands-on tutorials.
We are a small company that has been profitable for over 5 years. Currently we have just 6 full-time employees, so you’d be getting in on the ground floor.
We’re also a 100% distributed company: everyone works from their own home or office, whether it be Maryland, Virginia, Connecticut, Canada, or England. We make heavy use of Trello, Slack, Google Hangouts, and email for team communication.
We have a ton of great benefits, such as:
- Remote working!
- Health insurance and 401K match (US only)
- Generous PTO – plus 1-week company-wide Christmas vacation
- Competitive salary
- Free trip to our annual conference – RWDevCon
- Professional development (conferences & training)
Our site is helping millions of developers across the world make apps, further their careers, and fulfill lifelong dreams. If you’re passionate about helping our small but highly motivated team take this to the next level, this is the job for you! :]
How To Apply
To apply, please email a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Not a web developer, but still interested in joining our team? We have another cool job opportunity that we’ll be posting about soon – stay tuned.
We look forward to hearing from you! :]