Swift by Tutorials Bundle [Preorder]
Who Are These Books For?
These books are for intermediate iOS developers who already know the basics of iOS development but want to learn the latest iOS APIs and technologies.
If you’re a complete beginner to iOS development, you can follow along with these books as well because the tutorials are always in a step-by-step format. However, there may be some gaps in your knowledge, so you might want to go through the iOS Apprentice Series first.
All three books are fully up-to-date for iOS 8, Swift and Xcode 6.
Swift by Tutorials: A Hands-On Approach [Preorder]
Learn Apple’s brand new programming language, Swift, the quick and easy way: via hands-on tutorials!
Swift by Tutorials is currently still in development. Here is the tentative list of topics:
- Language Basics: Variables & constants, Explicit types vs. type inference, testing equality, Strings, and Control flow.
- Language Basics, Continued: Optionals, Subscripts, Collections, Memory Management, and “Under the hood.”
- Classes & structs
- Functions & closures
- Enums & switch statements
- Functional programming
- Swift & Cocoa
- Swift in Action
Core Data by Tutorials: iOS 8 and Swift Edition [Preorder]
Learn how to save your data in iOS apps using Core Data, Apple’s powerful object graph and persistence framework.
Core Data by Tutorials is currently still in development. Here is the tentative list of topics:
- The Core Data Stack: Learn about all of the components of the Core Data stack: NSManagedObjectModel, NSPersistentStoreCoordinator and NSManagedObjectContext.
- The Core Data Model Editor: Learn how to create Core Data models using the editor, including types, relationships, fetched properties and data validation.
- Fetching, Updating, Saving and Deleting: Learn how to fetch, update, save and delete data using NSFetchRequest, NSSortDescriptor, faulting and uniquing.
- NSFetchedResultsController: Learn how to use NSFetchedResultsController to easily display your data in table views, collection views and more.
- Multithreading: Learn how to use Core Data in a multithreaded app, including using parent-child NSManagedObjects and using different Core Data concurrency types.
- Synchronizing with a Web Service: Learn how to use Core Data to synchronize with a web service, using Parse and AFNetworking.
- Core Data and iCloud: Learn how to store your app’s data in the cloud with Core Data and iCloud integration.
- MagicalRecord: Learn how to use MagicalRecord to simplify your Core Data code.
- Versioning & Migration: Learn how to upgrade and change your Core Data model over time with lightweight and heavyweight migrations.
- Persistent Store Configurations: Learn how to create multiple persistent stores, including your own NSIncrementalStore.
- Core Data Performance: Learn how to improve the performance of your Core Data apps and manage the tradeoffs of speed versus memory consumption.
- Core Data and Unit Tests: Learn how to effectively test your Core Data apps with XCUnit.
iOS 8 by Tutorials: Learning the New iOS 8 APIs with Swift [Preorder]
Learn about the new APIs in iOS 8, such as Adaptive UI, App Extensions and Cloud Kit!
iOS 8 by Tutorials is currently still in development. Here is the tentative list of topics:
- Adaptive UI: Learn how to make your apps adapt to different screen sizes with Unified Storyboards, Size Classes, Traits and more.
- Presentation Controllers, Transition Coordinators and UISplitViewController Changes: Learn how to present and animate your view controllers on multiple devices, using the same code.
- App Extensions: Learn how to make extensions of all types, from Today, to Share, to Action, to Photo Editing and more.
- Cloud Kit: Learn how to store your app’s data between multiple users with the new and powerful Cloud Kit framework.
- Xcode 6 in Depth: Learn about new features in Xcode 6, like Playgrounds and View Debugging.
- TestFlight Integration: Learn how to beta-test your app using the brand new TestFlight integration in Xcode.
- Localization: Learn about the new localization workflow in Xcode 6.
- Custom Controls in Interface Builder: Learn how to expose and configure your custom controls in Interface Builder.
- Handoff: Learn how to pass the user’s current work between devices.
- Scene Kit: Learn the basics of using Scene Kit from an app developer’s perspective.
- Visual Effect (Blur) View and Vibrant Text: Learn how to easily add blur effects and vibrant text into your apps.
- And much more…: From UIKit improvements to photo improvements to the Modern WebKit framework, there are many more goodies in store for you!
Preorder the Swift by Tutorials Bundle today!$162$149PREORDER
File formats and delivery
The source code will come as Xcode projects and the tutorials will come in PDF format. When the books are released, you can download them on your My Loot page.
When will the books be released?
These books are currently under development and we plan to release them sometime after the iOS NDA has been lifted. We don’t have an exact ETA yet.
What’s your refund policy?
We have a 30-day 100% satisfaction guarantee for the PDF version.
If you have any further questions that the above description hasn’t covered, feel free to ask a question in the forums and we’ll get to you as soon as possible!
What are you waiting for?
It’s critical as an iOS developer that you keep your skills up-to-date, and iOS 8 is one of the most ground-breaking releases yet due to its brand new programming language, Swift. Don’t get left behind!
Rather than bang your head against the wall trying to learn these topics by scouring boring API references, learn Swift and iOS 8 the easy way: via tutorials, in the style you know and love from this site!
So get your head out of the Cloud, Adapt your schedule to make some time to learn, and Swiftly Extend your fingers to the keyboard to preorder the Swift by Tutorials Bundle today! :]
You might also like our other products:
The iOS Apprentice Series
Learn how to make iPhone and iPad apps from the ground up, with a series of epic-length tutorials for beginners!
$72From $54 LEARN MORE
iOS Games by Tutorials
Learn how to make 2D games for the iPhone and iPad using Apple's brand new game framework, Sprite Kit.
From $54 LEARN MORE
iOS Game Starter Kits
Full source code and tutorials for creating a Mario-like platformer, a side-scrolling space shooter, and Beat 'Em Up game!
$387$299 LEARN MORE