iOS Games by Tutorials
Learn how to make 2D games for the iPhone and iPad!
Who is This Book For?
This book is for beginner to advanced iOS developers. Whether you are a complete beginner to making iOS games, or an advanced iOS developer looking to learn about Sprite Kit, you will learn a lot from this book!
This book does require some basic knowledge of Objective-C. If you do not know Objective-C you can still follow along with the book because the tutorials are always in a step-by-step process, but there may be some missing gaps in your knowledge. You might want to go through the iOS Apprentice Series before you go through this book.
Fully Up to Date
iOS Games by Tutorials is updated for iOS 7 and Xcode 5.
iOS Games by Tutorials
Learn how to make iOS games with Apple’s brand new game framework, Sprite Kit. Through a series of mini-games and challenges, you will go from beginner to advanced and learn everything you need to make your own game!
iOS Games by Tutorials covers the following topics:
- Sprites, Actions, and Scenes: Learn about the most important concepts in Sprite Kit and how to make a simple game!
- Basic 2D Math: Learn the math concepts you need to know to move your sprites – like basic trigonometry and vector math.
- Scrolling: Learn how to make your games scroll across the screen – even with cool camera motion!
- Labels and Particle Systems: Learn how to add text to your games and add special effects like explosions.
- Physics: Learn how to make realistic motion in your game with Sprite Kit’s built-in physics engine.
- Crop and Video Node: Learn how to cut out portions of your sprites and play videos within your games.
- Shape and Effect Nodes: Learn how to create dynamic shapes, and add Core Image special effects to your games.
- Tile Maps: Learn how to create your own simple tile map engine, and how to create and use TMX files in your games too.
- Saving and Loading Games: Learn how to save your game state so you can keep track of the player’s progress.
- UIKit Integration: Learn how to create menus for your game in UIKit and use UIKit controls from your Sprite Kit game itself.
- Accelerometer: Learn how to move your objects around the game with accelerometer controls.
- Game Center: Learn how to integrate achievements, leaderboards, and multiplayer into your games.
- AirPlay: Learn how to display your game on the big screen using AirPlay!
- Performance: Learn how to get the most performance out of your game using Sprite Kit.
- Making Art for Programmers: Learn how to make your own 2D game art, step by step!
By the time you’re finished reading this book, you will have made 5 complete mini-games from scratch, and you’ll be ready to make your own games with Sprite Kit!
Order iOS Games by Tutorials today!
File Formats and Delivery
The source code comes as Xcode projects and the tutorials will come in PDF format (27 chapters, 831 pages). Once you have ordered iOS Games By Tutorials, you can immediately download the book on your My Loot page.
If you purchase the print version of the book, we will ship the book to you within 3-5 business days. Please then allow time for delivery.
What’s Your Refund Policy?
We have a 30-day 100% satisfaction guarantee for the PDF. We do not offer refunds for the print version.
How Can I Find The Latest Version?
If you have any further questions that the above description hasn’t covered, feel free to ask a question in the forums and we’ll get to you as soon as possible!
What Are You Waiting For?
Sprite Kit is one of the most exciting APIs ever released in iOS – at least if you are gamers like we are!
And the easiest way to learn Sprite Kit is through this book. You’ll get hands-on experience by making the mini-games, and then get to practice what you learned on your own through a series of challenges. By the time you’re done, you’ll have a wealth of knowledge and be truly inspired.
So make good on your dreams to make some amazing games by picking up iOS Games by Tutorials today!
You might also like our other products:
The iOS Apprentice Series
Learn how to make iPhone and iPad apps from the ground up, with a series of epic-length tutorials for beginners!
$72From $54 LEARN MORE
Swift by Tutorials Bundle
Three brand new books to get you up-to-speed with Swift, iOS 8, and Xcode 6 - for intermediate to advanced developers.
$162$149 LEARN MORE
iOS Game Starter Kits
Full source code and tutorials for creating a Mario-like platformer, a side-scrolling space shooter, and Beat 'Em Up game!
$387$299 LEARN MORE