What is the iOS Game Starter Kit Bundle?
The iOS Game Starter Kit Bundle is a set of 3 complete games with full source code:
In addition, the bundle includes 3 epic-length tutorials that show you how to build these games yourself:
Between the source code and the tutorials, you will have a huge head start on making your own games, saving you a ton of time and money!
Starter Kit 1: The Space Game Starter Kit
The Space Game Starter Kit shows you how to make a side-scrolling space game for the iPhone and iPad, complete with asteroids, aliens, lasers and explosions – and of course, a bad-ass boss to fight at the end!
The Space Game Starter Kit covers the following topics:
- Parallax scrolling: Learn how to make the stars and backgrounds scroll at different rates – and repeat continuously.
- Particle systems: Learn how to add particle systems into your game for explosions and special effects.
- Collision detection: Learn how to detect collisions accurately through the use of polygon shapes.
- Multiple levels: Learn how to add multiple levels to your game, driven by an easily modified data file.
- An epic boss fight: Learn how to add a powerful boss at the end of the game, equipped with multiple weapons and simple AI.
Starter Kit 2: The Platformer Game Starter Kit
The Platformer Game Starter Kit shows you how to make a side-scrolling platformer game like Super Mario Bros. You will create your own platformer-specific physics engine, implement jump behavior, add enemies and powerups, and more!
- Custom physics engine: Learn how to create your own physics engine from scratch, in order to get the jumping behavior just right.
- Many jump types: Learn how to implement regular jumping, double jumping, wall sliding, attacking and more.
- Enemies and AI: Learn how to add multiple types of enemies, from creepers to fliers.
- Tile maps: Learn how to create your entire levels in a tile map editor.
- Tips from the pros: As a bonus, the starter kit contains interviews with some of the top iOS platformer game developers in the App Store so you can learn from their advice.
Starter Kit 3: The Beat ‘Em Up Game Starter Kit
The Beat ‘Em Up Game Starter Kit shows you how to make a polished and fun beat ‘em up game in the style of Double Dragon and Scott Pilgrim!
- Multiple attacks: Learn how to implement punching, combo punches, jump punches, running kicks and more.
- Hit circles: Learn how to add hit circles to your sprites for collision detection that synchronizes with animation frames.
- Procedurally colored sprites: Learn how to recolor each part of your sprites dynamically.
- Weapons: Learn how to implement equippable weapons – like power gauntlets.
- Battle Events: Learn how to add battle events into your levels, spawn monsters, stage boss fights and more.
Benefits to You
Whether you’re a beginner or an advanced iOS developer, these iOS Game Starter Kits will give you some great benefits, such as:
- Full source code you can study and learn from.
- Code, art, music and more that you can reuse.
- Save many hours of development time (hence a lot of money!) by using these games as a starting point.
- Learn a ton of tips and tricks you might not have come across before.
- Give back to this site, making future tutorials, forum support and Starter Kits possible. :]
- Have a fun and relaxing time going through the step-by-step tutorials, learning along the way.
- Show off the games you made to your friends and family – they’ll think you’re an Xcode master!
To use these starter kits, you need:
- To be a member of the iOS developer program and have a Mac with Xcode installed.
- An iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad to test with, because some of the games require an accelerometer (not available on the simulator) or have been designed to work best with a touch device.
- Some familiarity with Objective-C. I recommend the book Programming in Objective-C 2.0 by Stephen Kochan if you’re new to Objective-C, or you can follow our free Objective-C crash course tutorial.
- Some familiarity with Cocos2D. The goal of these starter kits isn’t to teach you Cocos2D – there are a number of free tutorials on this site to help with that, like this Cocos2D beginner series. Instead, the goal is to teach you the practical techniques used to make these types of games.
Note: Don’t worry, if you are completely new to Objective-C and Cocos2D, you can still follow along with the tutorials in these starter kits because everything is presented step-by-step. It’s just that there will be some missing pieces in your knowledge that you can fill in using the recommended books and free tutorials above.
By purchasing these starter kits, you get a license for 1 developer for the following:
- You are allowed to use and/or modify the source code in as many games as you want, with no attribution required.
- You are allowed to use and/or modify all art, music and sound effects that are included in the starter kits in as many games as you want, but must attribute the associated artists for the art.
- The source code included in these starter kits is for your personal use only. You are NOT allowed to distribute or sell the source code in the starter kits without prior authorization.
- Likewise, the tutorials in this guide are for your personal use only. You are NOT allowed to distribute or sell the tutorials in the starter kits without prior authorization.
How To Use the Starter Kits
There are two main ways you can make use of a starter kit:
- You could look through the sample project and start using it right away. You might want to add new levels, add your own art or enemies, pull out useful snippets or even recompile it and submit it to the App Store! :]
- You could go through the epic-length tutorial that comes with the starter kit and build the game from scratch. This way you’ll know how every line of code works and can use the techniques you learn in a game of your own design!
File Formats and Delivery
The source code comes as an Xcode project and the tutorials come as a PDF. Once you have purchased a starter kit or the bundle, you can access the files immediately via direct download.
Frequently Asked Questions
I bought the Space Game Starter Kit before 8 April 2013 – can I upgrade to the bundle?
If you bought the Space Game Starter Kit before the bundle was available (8 April 2013), then yes, you can upgrade to the bundle! Contact me directly for more details.
I bought a starter kit after 8 April 2013 – can I upgrade to the bundle?
The bundle discount is only for those who choose to buy all three starter kits at once – there is no way to retroactively upgrade.
How can I access the private forums?
What’s your refund policy?
We have a 30-day 100% satisfaction guarantee for the starter kits.
How can I find the latest version?
You can always find the latest versions of the starter kits in the private forums.
What Are You Waiting For?
A ship traveling fast towards a dangerous alien belt desperately needs an Xcode pilot.
A cyclops needs your help to jump his way off a robotic planet.
And a hero with a pompadour hairdo wants to kick some serious ass.
They’re all looking for a developer like you – so grab these starter kits, and improve your iOS game programming powers today!