Beginning iCloud in iOS 5 Tutorial Part 1

Discussion of the official tutorials published on raywenderlich.com. Please only discuss the official tutorials here - for general questions, use the General Discussion forum instead.

Re: Beginning iCloud in iOS 5 Tutorial Part 1

Postby kiiiillers » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:47 pm

Very good tutorial. I appreciate you explaining this in detail.

A couple of questions if you don't mind.

I have an existing application and I want to use iCloud, do I have to create new app ID if I am currently using provisioning profiles that use wildcards? And if I create an app ID without wildcards will my exiting user base be able to get the new iCloud changes or will it have to be a totally new app that I have submit to the app store just for iCloud?

I get the following two errors when compiling.

Illegal entitlement key/value pair: com.apple.developer.ubiquity-container-identifiers, XXXXXX.com.domain.sLockBox but in the provisioning portal it shows as XXXXXX.com.domain.sLockBox.* for developer, distribution (Ad Hoc), and app store provisioning profiles.

And this is the same for the com.apple.developer.ubiquity-kvstore-identifier.

Thanks a lot,

Kenneth Lewis
kiiiillers
n00b

Postby navioner » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:53 pm

Thanks for this tut, works fine.

Q: Will the local copy of my document be deleted automatically if i delete/remove the app from my device?
Will the copy of the document in the iCloud be deleted if i delete the app from all my iCloud enabled devices?

Thanks
hsm
Last edited by navioner on Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
navioner
n00b

Postby funkyboy » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:40 pm

Satishb wrote:Thanks for the information

For sake of completeness I should mention you can temporarily publish data created on iCloud and download them via the browser.
funkyboy
Team Member
iOS Tutorial Team Member

Postby bhushan » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:39 am

Thanks Very Much For Such An Great Post...
bhushan
n00b

Postby Jrubl9427 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:31 pm

Enjoyed the tutorial, plan to continue with part II. Everything worked as expected. I have a basic objective C question ... I don't follow the purpose and use of the specific property query. Can you help me with this?

Thanks
Jim Rublee
Jrubl9427
Baby Hacker

Postby pkasson » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:28 pm

Great article !

Has anyone looked into the ability to interact with iCloud from Java ?

Cheers !

Peter
pkasson
Baby Hacker

Postby funkyboy » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:30 pm

That is not possible :(
funkyboy
Team Member
iOS Tutorial Team Member

Postby Mr.iOS » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:13 pm

Ray,

after doing first steps with iCloud (thanks for your very good tutorial) I´ve started to implement a new app using UIManagedDocument´s. From the User Interface I can add new documents, open them and write and read ManagedObjects. And they are in the cloud (Wow! It´s really working).
I display all documents as little bitmaps in a multicolumn tableview, below I show the document title. But now I like the idea to display some info which is saved in the ManagedObjects in the documents in UILabels so the appear on top of the bitmaps (like in the "Pages App" where the first page of the documents are shown). For this, I´ve to open each document and read it´s data.
I added a NSDictionary property in the view controller which has the tableview. In cellForRowAtIndexPath I read the values from this dictionary. In the setter of the property I use a dispatch_async to synchronize the access, in the getter a dispatch_sync on the same queue. Then I have a function which fills the NSDictionary property. The key is the url. From the url I create a UIManagedDocument, open it, read the values and close it.
But now the problems came up: When to call this function? Should I add observers for the document change and for the ManagedObjects in this function? When to remove these observers? Or is this the wrong way?

It would make be happy if you could give me some info what the best solution for this is!
Mr.iOS
n00b

Postby funkyboy » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:21 am

That really depends on how fresh you want the data to be. You can do it once, anytime the cell gets displayed or anytime the tableview is opened.
I think that is up to you and the purpose of the app.
From a performance viewpoint, the less you update, the better.
funkyboy
Team Member
iOS Tutorial Team Member

Postby mrburns05 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:53 pm

I have a question.

I see
Code: Select all
 [...  URLForUbiquityContainerIdentifier:nil];

used quite a bit , I've been all over the internet reading up on iCloud stuff and some tutorials say it should be

Code: Select all
[... URLForUbiquityContainerIdentifier:@"<individual ID>.<project bundle identifier>"];

So now I'm a bit confused, should it be "nil" or should it contain the id.identifier string?

Thanks in advance
mrburns05
n00b

PreviousNext

Return to Official Tutorials