How To Make an eBook with iBooks Author Tutorial

Discussion of the official tutorials published on raywenderlich.com. Please only discuss the official tutorials here - for general questions, use the General Discussion forum instead.

How To Make an eBook with iBooks Author Tutorial

Postby rwenderlich » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:00 am

This is the official thread to discuss the following blog post: How To Make an eBook with iBooks Author Tutorial
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Ray Wenderlich
Blog: http://www.raywenderlich.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/rwenderlich
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
rwenderlich
Team Member
Site Admin

Re: How To Make an eBook with iBooks Author Tutorial

Postby shippo0708 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:47 pm

Note: that to use iBooks Author, you’ll need a Macintosh computer running OSX 10.7.4 or later and if you’d like to do previewing, an iPad with iBooks 3.0 installed on it.

Because for some reason Apple thought it unneccessary to include iBooks capable readers for the Mac, even if it was iBooks Author only :(
shippo0708
Uber Haxx0r

Postby dnmurphy » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:08 am

Do not use videos on the front unless 1). They are extremely useful 2). They can be bypassed. This is as bad an idea as the long discredited splash home page on the web. I have neither the time nor the patience with being forced to wait to view some egotist's home video, but want to control my experience and get to the heart of the book immediately.
dnmurphy
n00b

Postby PeterBr » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:34 pm

An interesting basic tutorial, just a few suggestions:

It is good practice when teaching users, to use the correct names of the parts of the application and to point them where to find them.

The "Widget drop down box" is the Widget Icon on the Toolbar.

The "Widget popup box" is the Widget Inspector.

The Book pane is actually the Book Outline pane.

The "pages" you frequently referred to are actually Thumbnails of the pages.

The "adjustment toolbar" and the "properties panel" are both the Format Bar.

Backslashes are used to show File Paths, not steps in application navigation. For that you use > angle brackets, and precede them with where to start: Menu, Inspector, Toolbar Icon, Format Bar etc.
PeterBr
n00b

Postby shan2c » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:53 am

Is it possible to download a paid app 5 times after initial purchase. I'm planning to create an iBook & put it for sale in iBook Store. I'm planning to give gift cards for my salesman. Salesman will sell the books by using his Apple ID & Password. For each time he will use the gift card & that gift card will be used as a discount. However I heard that, one can download iBooks 5 times after purchase by using his same apple ID. Is it possible to download 5 times from same account. Is there any way to track the sales? So far there is no proper way to track the sales from iBook Store.
shan2c
n00b

Postby Saiha » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:10 am

rwenderlich wrote:This is the official thread to discuss the following blog post: How To Make an eBook with iBooks Author Tutorial

Thanks for the tutorial Ray. I have been using iBook Author for a while and I have been searching for the information about creating a link to a pre installed app on iPad. Do you know if there is a way to do that? I know you can do that for youtube, messages, facetime, but my questions is for some other application.

Best,
Saiha
n00b

Return to Official Tutorials