Making a Hit Tower Defense Game: A Top App Dev Interview

Discussion of the official tutorials published on raywenderlich.com. Please only discuss the official tutorials here - for general questions, use the General Discussion forum instead.

Making a Hit Tower Defense Game: A Top App Dev Interview

Postby rwenderlich » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:00 am

This is the official thread to discuss the following blog post: Making a Hit Tower Defense Game: A Top App Dev Interview
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Ray Wenderlich
Blog: http://www.raywenderlich.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/rwenderlich
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
rwenderlich
Team Member
Site Admin

Re: Making a Hit Tower Defense Game: A Top App Dev Interview

Postby lionserdar » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:41 pm

I was wondering if we can learn more about the technology that they used for their game such as which game engine they used, what was the most challenging part in the implementation process.

Thanks.
lionserdar
Subscriber since Feb 10, 2014
Baby Hacker

Postby Pabloruiz55 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:58 pm

@lionserdar: Thanks for the comment! So, you say you'd like to hear more on the side of the development of the app, more than anything else?
Pabloruiz55
Hacker

Postby dnorcott » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:23 pm

Thanks for the interview, Pablo and Alvaro, and thanks for Kingdom Rush! It's definitely my favorite tower defense game!

There's a lot of good info in this article. I liked the point about continuing to update the game. Kingdom Rush is very polished and no doubt that contributes to its success.

I have a few questions for Alvaro:

You said you learned a lot about gamed design, and you did a great job! Kingdom Rush is really fun and balanced. Can you recommend some good resources (books, blogs, etc) on game design? Or was it all trial-and-error?

How does the Flash version compare to the iOS version in terms of users and revenue? Would you recommend Flash as a good place for developers to start their games?

What kind of monthly revenue are you seeing? If you don't want to give specifics, are you making enough money to support the three of you? Have you hired anyone else?

I'd love to see interviews with other successful developers. It's very inspiring!

Thanks,
David
dnorcott
Baby Hacker

Postby GameViewPoint » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:32 am

Was the iOS version coded with Obj-c? or was it Adobe AIR?
GameViewPoint
Subscriber since Mar 12, 2014
Baby Hacker

Postby Hannu » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:07 am

Thanks for a good article! I find the "non techie" stuff interesting too!
I do not care what language or methods they used to build their game.. I want to hear the kind of stuff you get out from this interview :)

job well done!
Hannu
Uber Haxx0r

Postby ColinEberhardt » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:26 am

Great interview.

Personally I think that interviews should be more about the person that the code, otherwise, why bother interviewing them at all? I like to find out where their ideas came from, what motivated them, what they are going to do next ...

Colin E.
ColinEberhardt
Team Member
iOS Tutorial Team Member

Postby pablo » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:38 pm

Hi!!! Thanks for the interview!
I can answer some of the questions

How does the Flash version compare to the iOS version in terms of users and revenue? Would you recommend Flash as a good place for developers to start their games?

iOS version give us a lot more revenue than the flash version. We still believe that flash is a good way to start because is way less competitive as Mobile.

What kind of monthly revenue are you seeing? If you don't want to give specifics, are you making enough money to support the three of you? Have you hired anyone else?

I cannot give you the numbers, but YES...kingdom Rush help us to make a living on this and now we also have 8 more people working with us. So Kingdom Rush give us enough money for that.

I was wondering if we can learn more about the technology that they used for their game such as which game engine they used, what was the most challenging part in the implementation process.

We use cocos2d. The most challenging part in terms of programming was porting the game and learn Objective C in 4 months (port and learn).

Was the iOS version coded with Obj-c? or was it Adobe AIR?

Obj-c

Best,
Pablo
pablo
n00b

Postby kphilipp » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:18 am

Thanks for the great Interview! This was really insightful.

I agree with Colin that the interviews should be more about the person than the technology used.

Greetings,
Katrin
kphilipp
n00b

Return to Official Tutorials