Demystifying iOS Application Crash Logs

Discussion of the official tutorials published on raywenderlich.com. Please only discuss the official tutorials here - for general questions, use the General Discussion forum instead.

Demystifying iOS Application Crash Logs

Postby rwenderlich » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:00 am

This is the official thread to discuss the following blog post: Demystifying iOS Application Crash Logs
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Ray Wenderlich
Blog: http://www.raywenderlich.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/rwenderlich
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
rwenderlich
Team Member
Site Admin

Re: Demystifying iOS Application Crash Logs

Postby faabalia » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:11 pm

Congratulation for this tutorial, I think it is very useful, because many times is very difficult to follow the crashes in the applications. I think that tutorials like that or more advanced should be incorpored in the book IOS 5 or 6 by tutorials. Good work and thank you very much for your effort in this tutorial.
faabalia
Hacker

Postby sketchy » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:40 pm

Thanks very much for the informative tutorial.

Are *ALL* crash reports available to the developer through iTunesConnect or is there something the customer has to allow? I ask because I had an app in the appstore that crashed - but I did not get a crash log through iTunesConnect.

Thanks!
sketchy
Uber Haxx0r

Postby Hollance » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:06 pm

sketchy wrote:Are *ALL* crash reports available to the developer through iTunesConnect or is there something the customer has to allow? I ask because I had an app in the appstore that crashed - but I did not get a crash log through iTunesConnect.

As far as I know (but I could be mistaken), crash logs are only uploaded to iTunesConnect when users sync their phones with iTunes and have allowed Apple to gather anonymous usage statistics.
Like card games? Play my new game Mahjong Cards for iPad.
Hollance
Team Member
iOS Tutorial Team Member

Postby Canopus » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:26 am

Hollance wrote:
sketchy wrote:Are *ALL* crash reports available to the developer through iTunesConnect or is there something the customer has to allow? I ask because I had an app in the appstore that crashed - but I did not get a crash log through iTunesConnect.

As far as I know (but I could be mistaken), crash logs are only uploaded to iTunesConnect when users sync their phones with iTunes and have allowed Apple to gather anonymous usage statistics.

I think Hollance is right (I am not 100% sure either). If you take a look at Apple's iOS Terms and Conditions, Section 4, Part (a), it says (I have underlined where it seems referring to crash logs):

4. Consent to Use of Data.
(a) Diagnostic and Usage Data. If you opt in to diagnostic and usage collection, you agree that Apple and its subsidiaries and agents may collect, maintain, process and use diagnostic, technical, usage and related information, including but not limited to information about your iOS Device, computer, system and application software, and peripherals, that is gathered periodically to facilitate the provision of software updates, product support and other services to you (if any) related to the iOS Software, and to verify compliance with the terms of this License. Apple may use this information, as long as it is collected in a form that does not personally identify you, to provide and improve Apple’s products and services. If you have opted in and have Location Services turned on, the location of your device may also be sent to help Apple analyze wireless or cellular performance issues (e.g. the strength or weakness of a cellular signal in a particular location). To enable Apple’s partners and third party developers to improve their software, hardware and services designed for use with Apple products, Apple may also provide any such partner or third party developer with a subset of diagnostic information that is relevant to that partner’s or developer’s software, hardware and/or services, as long as the diagnostic information is in a form that does not personally identify you.

Source: iOS 6.0 Software License Agreement http://images.apple.com/legal/sla/docs/iOS6.pdf

The language is slightly different for different iOS versions, but they essentially have the same meaning. You can find iOS Terms and Conditions here http://www.apple.com/legal/sla/
Canopus
Team Member
iOS Tutorial Team Member

Postby kevin chen » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:36 am

wonderful, it is useful for me. I had study ios programmer for serval months.
kevin chen
n00b

Postby devpitcher » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:57 pm

Awesome article. The biggest challenge we have is getting crash logs from users. We started using Crittercism to get crash logs from users. It sends the crash log the next time the user runs the app (and keeps stats on your crashes). I think TestFlight has something like that too, though I'm not sure if it's for release versions or just betas.
devpitcher
n00b

Postby idev.abdullah » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:16 pm

The path for Crash logs in Mac is wrong. Probably I have a different Mac OS version 10.7.5.

In order to get to Library folder, open finder and select GO from the top bar. Hold ALT key and you will see the Library appear (This is hidden by default) in the drop down menu, select it from there,

Library (hidden) -> Log -> CrashReporter -> MobileDevice -> Select Your device

Cheers!

Thanks for the very informative tutorial :)
idev.abdullah
n00b

Postby sdough » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:52 pm

Soheil,
Thanks for the great tutorial. This has helped me track down a few issues in an app I am working on. Do you offer consulting services? I have several crash logs that I am getting nowhere with.

Thanks,
Sean
sdough
n00b

Postby MarkFarris » Wed May 15, 2013 8:35 pm

Hi,

my team is planning to build an ios crash reporter that will symbolicate crash reports.
I see you are very knowledgable about symbolification.
What do you think about doing the symbolification on the client ?
the .app file is already there and the .crash file is also of course and you know that the appropriate
version is present. The only thing missing is the .dSYM file and of course the software to do the symbolification.
1. Is this practical and doable in your opinion ?

2. I am not hugely familiar with ios app development just getting into it. Regarding the .dSYM file do you think
it's would be a burden to ask developers to include the .dSYM file with every deployment ? Is .dSYM file relatively small ?

3. Do you know of any software library to do the symbolification on the client that would be open source ?

Thanks,
Mark
MarkFarris
n00b

Next

Return to Official Tutorials