As you may know, our primary focus at raywenderlich.com is developing high quality programming tutorials. Our goal is to take the coolest and most challenging topics and make them easy for everyone to learn – so we can all make great apps.
Thanks to the support of our amazing readers, we have been able to grow and improve this site over the years. Starting from my personal blog, we now have an international team of over 100 authors, editors, translators, and forum subject matter experts teaming up to make some amazing tutorials for the community.
Today, I am happy to announce our next big step forward – we are looking to hire an official Editor-in-Chief at raywenderlich.com!
This is a full time position with a competitive salary for an experienced iOS developer. It is a unique and special opportunity that you won’t find anywhere else. Keep reading to find out more about the job – and to see if it’s for you (or for someone you may know)! :]
As Editor-in-Chief, you would be the primary person responsible for making sure we have high quality content coming out on this site each week. This includes:
- Coordinating the team. You’ll assign tutorial topics to authors and editors, and make sure everything is moving smoothly. From time to time, you will step in to perform editing or give feedback on the process.
- Making editorial decisions. You’ll choose what topics we publish on the site, and choose when they should be scheduled. What makes a good tutorial topic, and what makes a bad one? You’ll decide! :]
- Growing the team. We’re always looking for advanced-level developers for the tutorial team – another part of your job will be recruiting and trying out these folks, and bringing them on-board the team. You’ll also be ramping up entirely new teams – like the code team, or the update team.
- Make video tutorials and work on books. Along with Brian and myself, you’ll regularly make video tutorials for the site like this one, and work on books like this one. We will be looking for advanced level subjects, so you’ll need a lot of experience for this.
- Staying up-to-date. In order to be a good editor-in-chief and video tutorial maker, you will need to be constantly learning, and keeping up-to-date with the latest APIs, news, and techniques. To be successful, you’ll need a passion for this.
- App development. If time permits, you will also be doing some app development – but the above tasks take priority.
As I mentioned, this is a unique opportunity you won’t find anywhere else. Here are the top 10 reasons this job is so special:
- Competitive Salary. We are offering a competitive salary for this position, including health and dental benefits and contributions toward an IRA.
- Work from Home. One of the cool things about this position is you can work from home! So it doesn’t matter where you live, as long as you’re authorized to work in the US. (Sorry to our readers who are abroad – hiring people outside the US is a bit complicated for a small company like us.)
- A Completely Unique Opportunity. I believe this is a once in a lifetime opportunity. Think to yourself – how many other sites are building a community centered on high-quality developer education like this, that have grown organically, without any outside investors? And how many of those do you have the chance to join so early, where you can make such a huge impact?
- Help Us Set the Course. As Editor-in-Chief, your decisions will directly steer where this site heads in the next few years. You’ll decide which topics we cover, who gets on the team, and what new projects we take on. If you like to make challenging and interesting decisions like this, this is the job for you!
- Get Paid to Learn. If you love to learn, you’ll fit right in. Part of your job will be to learn new things and make tutorials about them, and you’ll also learn by editing others’ tutorials. You will constantly be developing your skills!
- Personal Growth. In addition to improving your technical skills, you will also be getting tons of experience with “soft skills” like leadership, writing, editing, and public speaking. You know how good the speakers are at TED talks, or that feeling when you read a clearly-written technical book on a tricky subject? We want that to be you.
- Be a Huge Part of the Community. As Editor-in-Chief, you will become a leader in the iOS development community. You will speak at conferences. You will write books and make video tutorials. You’ll make friends with some of the coolest guys and gals in the industry. People will recognize you and come up to introduce themselves. People will throw you parades. (OK, maybe not that last one, but 4/5 isn’t bad!) ;]
- Be An Indie – Without the Risk. This is such a small company that it’s pretty much the same thing as being an indie developer – but without the risks of being on your own! You’ll get to set your own hours, work from home, work on small projects that you can complete quickly, and work on small apps. But you’ll have a steady paycheck – and benefits like health insurance, vacation, and an IRA!
- Make a Difference. In this job, you will be making a significant positive impact in people’s lives. We get emails every day about how our tutorials have helped developers learn something that they previously struggled with, and about how our tutorials have helped them make an app or get a job. This is what makes all the hard work worth it, and is incredibly rewarding!
- This Job is Fun! I’ve never had a job as cool as this one. It’s so much fun to be constantly learning, working with a bunch of talented developers, making cool stuff, and at the end of the day, helping a lot of people! Every day is a fresh and interesting batch of challenges, and I think you will love it too! :]
The requirements are very high for this position. Here are what I consider the Five Essential Qualities:
- Advanced-level iOS developer. You must be an advanced-level iOS developer for this position. We are looking for someone with 3+ years full-time iOS experience (and 5+ years full-time overall programming experience), that has worked on several apps in the App Store and is up-to-date with their iOS skills.
- A good leader. You must have demonstrated experience as a leader to be successful in this position. You are probably the kind of person who is a team lead in your current job, and who is friendly and patient when working with others.
- Love for both apps and games. Remember, at raywenderlich.com we are focused on both app and game tutorials. So to be successful, you need to have an interest in both sides. Ideally, you are a gamer at heart – video games, board games, and/or RPG games.
- Well read. To be successful as the Editor-in-Chief, you must be the type of person who stays up-to-date with the latest iOS development news. You probably read a lot of blogs, check out a lot of open source libraries, read a lot of books, and listen to a lot of podcasts.
- In for the long haul. You are going to be one of the first full-time members at Razeware LLC, beyond Vicki, Brian, and myself. As such, you will be incredibly important with respect to how this company and this website fare in the long run. I am looking for someone who really believes in what we’re trying to accomplish, and who wants to be part of this for the long haul as this company grows.
How To Apply
If this sounds like a job for you, please contact me and let me know:
- Are you authorized to work in the U.S.?
- Why are you interested in the Editor-in-Chief position?
- Why do you think you have the right qualifications for the position?
- Include links to any apps you’ve made (or web sites, portfolio, etc).
- Include links to anything you’ve written (articles, books, etc).
- Include a link to your resume.
Even if this position isn’t for you, please help spread the word! Finding the right person for Editor-in-Chief is really important for the future of this site.
Thank you for your consideration of this position, and/or for sharing the word! I’m looking forward to seeing this site continue to develop and grow. :]